SWG & Media Filter Size Recommandation---Perth, Australia

ZOELIU

Jan 28, 2014
Perth Australia
Hi,

I am new to the forum, and hopefully any of you guys can help me find the correct size/type of media filter and SWG, as the one we are having is not working properly anymore and believe it's about time to change (~10 years). At the moment, we are just constainly putting the chemical into the pool to maintain the balance.

We live in Perth, Western Australia, which is very hot n dry in summer(some days can reach 41~43 degree), and reasonably cold in winter with rain (0 degree is as low as we would get, normally around 5~15 degree). My backyard is full of trees, and quiet sandy, therefore we get lots of debris, leafs, sand into our pool. There are only me and my partner using the pool, max. is 1hr/day. I am not really a pool person, I clean it more than I use it(the pool was there when we bought the house).

Now let's talk about the pool

-60,000 Litre (~15,850 G) IG concrete pool, I believe it was built in the late 80s, early 90s
-Prolite SQI 600 single speed, output 1.1KW, input 1.45KW, Pump max.: 18m/180kpa, F.L.R.P.M. 2840
-24" austral sand filter---Going to replace it
-SWG, cannot find the brand---Going to replace it

Ideally, we don't want to change the pump at this stage, as it's still working fine, but we do want to reduce the time of running the equipment to 6hr in summer, and 3~4 hrs in winter to reduce power bill, in order to do so,

*how many gram/hr of SWG would you recommend?(self-cleaning model)
I've been researching, some says 35gram/hr, but some says 43gram/hr, is it because the hour i want it to be run?

*what size of media filter would you recommend to suit the existing pump and environment we have here?(Zelbrite)
I calculated, roughly 210lpm but believe i need more under the circumstances.

Any help would be appreciated.........

bobodaclown, thanks for getting back to my question.

well, our filter is about 10 years old, the gauges doesn't work anymore for quiet long time, and the sand has been keep coming out from the jets for about 2 years, which I think it might because the pump is too powerful, therefore cause the sand been push out (correct me if i am wrong).

There was also one incident happened that the water was spilling out from multi-valve about 7 months ago, then it stopped.

I think the pool is old, so the things start wearing out. We didnt have enough money to replace the equipment, so we keep prolonging by putting chemical in. Plus I did not know about TFP before until recently.....

Anyone recommend what flow rate/min I should get to suit my pump(1.1kw output)? Like I said, I only want to let it run 6hr/day/summer, 2~3hr/day/winter.
Also how many gram/hr do I need? Again the SWG isn't working properly for a while, and it's quiet old model, that's why we want to replace a new one.

If you have the model/part number from the filter you should be able to find the parts needed for replacement laterals and maybe a new spider gasket for the multi-valve.

You might be able to replace the motor portion with a 2-speed. If you don't have any water features you might be able to go with a 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp or even a 3/4 hp 2-speed.

Not sure if this helps:
http://www.pumpland.co.nz/shop/pool...poolrite-sqi-pm-series-pumps-spare-parts.html

But you may want to get a smaller impeller (5) and match it up with the smaller motor (1). You'd also need a new shaft seal(4).

Maybe call these guys and check on lateral prices: https://epools.com.au/waterco-m-22.html?page=1&sort=8&alpha_filter_id=87

http://www.waterco.com.au/customer-service/download-manuals

Also the gauge should be able to be replaced by a standard gauge bought at a hardware store. ($10 or so)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.