Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning and vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

Cleaning and vacuuming

So thanks to this site I think I'm ready to take the plunge (pun intended) and take over my pool completely. I've got my chemistry under control, freeze guard installed, performed backwash and refill cycle with my DE filter and have a Stenner pump going in the weekend.

The last thing I need to get down is cleaning. I have a leaf rake that I've been using but have yet to brush or vacuum. The brushing seems pretty straight forward, just brush the plaster to free up any dirt to be picked up by the vacuum or Polaris. My question is on the vacuuming. I think I have all the equipment. Hose, poll and vacuum heads. From what I understand I pull out the skimmer basket, plug one end of the hose into the skimmer pipe and the other end onto the vacuum head. But if I do that what catches the leaves? Without the simmer basket wont they all get pulled into the pump basket? That's not very big and I'd think it would clog easily. I also have two vacuum heads and I'm not sure which to use

One round
    and one rectangle with rollers on each side.

Is one better than the other or are they used for different purposes?
    22k IG plaster pool, Haywood DE6020 Pro Grid DE filer
    Century Centurion 2 HP single speed with Challenger Pentair front housing replacement. Polaris 280 and Polaris PB4-60 pump. Stenner Injection
    Pool is probably 1980-1990 vintage. Concrete deck

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Cleaning and vacuuming

Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Yes, you'll pick up leaves. That's why there's a basket in the pump strainer. You could also get a leaf canister that fits inline. If your skimmer has only one hole in the bottom, you can get a vacuum plate that sets in there, in which case the leaves will get caught in the skimmer basket. has pictures.

I've never seen one of those round vacuums.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The round one isn't exactly a vacuum. I have one. You connect it to your garden hose and there's a net that goes on the top. The water pressure creates a current which runs through the net sucking up leaves and such. You can use that first to clean the leaves off the bottom, then use the second one to vacuum up the fine stuff.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.