Bubbles in Return Line - And Strainer Basket

Enmity

Sep 16, 2013
Hi all,

Recently, I've noticed that I'm starting to get bubbles in my closest return line from my pump (maybe 10 ft from pump), but not in my other two returns (very rarely in one about 17-18 ft away, none in furthest return).

I noticed the bubbles, about 1/4 inch in size or smaller started after my SWG began working. They are not the champagne size that some suggest could come from the chlorination process.

I have also noticed that I am getting some air in the strainer basket (starts at about a quarter size, then gets to the size of a small child's basketball [diameter] but grows no larger), and that I get air in the top of my filter, even after bleeding it. In fact my filter won't fill completely with water unless I bring my pump up to 1250 rpm.

I am currently running my pump at around 800-1000 rpm, achieving good flow on my SWG.

I have attempted:

Reseating and lubing the O ring on the strainer basket lid.
Reseating and resealing the drain plugs on the pump.
Reseating and lubing the O ring on the check valve.
Smearing silicone lube over the joints leading up from the ground to my suction side.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. There are no obvious leaks or areas where air is being sucked in.

The pipes below ground have been pressure tested prior to install, 3 months ago.

Basically, are the bubbles really harmful, i.e. do they really impact my suction? Would they impact my ability to use solar water heating?

If you increase the pump speed they should go away. At low speeds you're not getting as much flow/suction in the basket and air collects. The air bubbles form in the piping and collect and get bigger and bigger until they get to the outlet.

I've got a 2-speed and get something similar. I run it on high for about 5 minutes and it clears out the air in the lines and such.

I wouldn't worry about it. Now if it was sucking air when you're high then you've got an issue.

When running the pump at 2500, the air disappeared quickly, and did not return to the filter after bled.

So I guess I don't have any leaks? Where's the air coming from?

On high I seemed to get the small champagne bubbles from the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.