Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Texan!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Another Texan!

Howdy all, I'm from the Austin suburb of Leander, TX. Grew up in Central Texas, so I'm not one of those transplants<grin>. We recently moved in to a home with an AWESOME pool and now that spring is here, I need to start learning how to manage it! Assume nothing with me, I'm ignorant and in need of everything basic as it relates to pool care/maintenance! Please take it easy on me
    23k gal IG pebble, 48 sq ft Pentair FNS Plus DE filter (FNSP 48) 96 GPM, 1.5 HP WhisperFlo pump, Kreepy Krauly Legend Robot.
    Pool was built in 2011, in Central Texas (Leander, TX)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Another Texan!

From one ignorant Texan to another, Welcome to the forum.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Gracias! Ignorant is giving me a bit too much credit I do believe...
    23k gal IG pebble, 48 sq ft Pentair FNS Plus DE filter (FNSP 48) 96 GPM, 1.5 HP WhisperFlo pump, Kreepy Krauly Legend Robot.
    Pool was built in 2011, in Central Texas (Leander, TX)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by funkerama View Post

HAHA, Soon enough you'll be a pro. I'm hoping I become a pro some day, My pool is still just a hole in the ground with some PVC and rebar in it....so it may be awhile.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP partner!!
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forum. You're not ignorant---just uneducated in pooleze! Enjoy pool school.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Howdy from Longview TX. Im still pretty new too. It' ain't so bad as it sounds.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Another Texan!

Howdy from PA ! Do your studying in pool school ! There will be a pop quiz. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by funkerama View Post

Welcome from one more Texan. We outnumber just about all the rest here, so you're in good company. No one was born knowing this stuff so don't worry about that. Glad you found us. Hope you enjoy the forums.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello from DFW area - lifelong Texan here, never lived anywhere else.
    ~26,000 gal (still dialing it in) / in-ground saltwater (Hayward T-CELL-15) / Blue Granite PebbleSheen / 2hp WhisperFlo pumps (main), 1.5hp WhisperFlo pump (waterfall) / Pentair DE filter / AquaLogic control / Polaris cleaner aka "Trackie" / Dallas, TX

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome from another Texan, I think I know of the specific transplants you speak of
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

14. Back To Top    #14

Welcome!

I second the suggestion to spend your time in Pool School. Read it, then read it again. It made my head hurt for I hated chemistry and as I'd never had a pool it was hard to understand at first. But, take notes, make copies, whatever it takes. You will benefit from starting a book that contains the details of your equipment. So nice to know the model numbers without going out in the dark to see what that equipment says when you are trying to order something online.
    In my book, I added all the phone numbers of the local stores that carry things I need. Not just the 3 main pool stores and their other nearby sites, but places like the hardware stores and grocery stores and big box stores too. When you find a product at a good price, write that price down. You may need to call around for comparisons if they raise that price in the future. As you find things out that are specific to your pool, like how much CYA a weeks worth of tabs will add to the pool, or how much FC you get from a scoop of cal-hypo, write all those things down. Too many numbers to remember them all.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome neighbor!

Anonapersona, thanks for sharing your advice. We are still in the construction phase but I've been reading up for "after the pool is filled" stage and feel overwhelmed sometimes. Great tips!
    IG Gunite 30k gallons, custom WetEdge finish with glass beads, spa, Pentair 520sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, Pentair 3HP intelliflow V.S pump, Pentair 400K BTU Heater Master Temp, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo- Model WF-28, Silencer Air Blower 1.5 HP, Pentair Boost Rite Universal Booster Pump, Rainbow 320, Easy Touch 8, My pool build:http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ypress-TX-Pics