Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping tiles

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping tiles

Hi my first post here and hoping I'm it in the right place.

This more of a question concerning repair of coping. I just bought a house early last year with a pool and some of the coping tiles are beginning to fall apart. I can see two options... attempt to repair the tiles myself by rebuilding the missing sections or simply find out who manufactures these. I would rather replace the damage tiles.

Here's a picture of the coping. Can anybody recognize this style or the manufacturer?

20140223_141520.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping tiles

Welcome to the forum.

Most likely, you'll have a very hard time getting a match. Honestly, it might just be best to have it all replaced by a pro.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I might be wrong, but it looks like it might be concrete. Most likely pre-cast.

Repairing it will be difficult at best but may not last very long.
    Replacing it with something similar would be your best bet for the long run.
    If there is a precast concrete place in your area, give them a call and see what it would take to make you one.
    You might also consider contacting one of those concrete boutiques, such as do concrete sinks and countertops to see if they could make one or fix it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Someone give me some good news lol.

What if I was to get a hammer and remove one to make a mould? Then cast my own as needed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes the coping here is concrete, and does look pre-cast.

Honestly, I guess you could do that, but new coping/tile would be a better option if it's something you can have done.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

If you're handy, you certainly could make yourself one!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder if you would even need to remove a sample to make a cast. You might be able to do it in place if you are handy enough to make a casting!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread