Heat Pump Size Help -

bcobb

Jul 24, 2011
Northern KY
Hello TFP'ers!
After doing tons of research, have decided on one of the Rheem heat pumps to heat my 25k gallon salt water pool. I'm trying to decide between the Rheem 6350ti and the 8350ti. The BTU difference on the two heater at 80,80,80 is 16,000 btu (133,000 vs 117,000). All of the reading that I've done says to size your heater to your pool, then buy one size bigger.

However running the numbers, to heat my pool 20 degrees, it will take the 6350 36 hours, whereas it will take the 8350 32 hours. If that is correct, I'm not sure I can justify the extra $500 on the 8350 because if I'm waiting 30+ hours to heat up, another 4 isn't going to matter.

Am I missing anything here? I'd prefer to stay away from any gas vs heat pump debates as I'm not considering gas for many reasons.
Thanks in advance!
-Bryan

Without covering your pool a heat pump may not keep up with the heartless at night. What I would recommend is the largest heat pump and hope it will do it. Gas is the sure option but I know that isn't always a choice.

I see you are on Northern Kentucky, when will you be trying to heat the pool? It's always best to use a solar cover to keep your heat money in the pool. Plus if it gets cooler at night when heating it, you won't lose as much of the heat in the night time hours. Also don't forget to add in your cost for the electrical work if you haven't already. No matter which unit you will still need a dedicated 240V supply.

Thanks for your replies swimpcmp and ps0303. It seems that in NKY most people around here run heat pumps (at least on newer pools). Several of my neighbors have heat pumps and they've never had problems keeping their pools in the mid-80's all season (May 1 - Sept 30). My one neighbor opens even earlier and closes later. Another neighbor that I talk to a lot has a 130btu and it has never had issues. Hence my question, is there really much difference between a 117 and a 133 btu pump? My pool temps drop around 10 degrees at night, so I think I might go for the bigger heat pump. And most importantly, I'll be looking at a thermal blanket of some sort to keep in that heat.

And I'll be running the electric ps0303, so no costs there other than a breaker and some wire. ;-) I think everyone has sold me on the bigger unit, what's an extra $500 right?! Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Happy swimming!
-Bryan

[EDIT] I imagine that I will simply set the heatpump for 83 and let it run all the time. Most of the mid-summer months the pool will be above 83 so it won't run. This would mainly run all the time in May, beginning June and September.

Keep in mind when ambient air temps reach a certain point a heat pump is not able to extract heat and heat the pool. I have a customer that opens mid march usually and doesn't get any heat into the pool until early April usually

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.