Hayward Navigator - Repair or Replace?

When we bpught this house a few months ago, the pool came with a Hayward Navigator. I think this is quite old as the plastic of the body has the feel of plastic which has had a lot of UV exposure (a sort of "powder coated" sensation, some yellowing of the plastic and the hose connectors are brittle. At the start is seemed to clean the floor apart from not doing the shallow end much. In the last few weeks it seems to have stopped working properly. It still moves around, but the pool floor is visibly dirty (dirt + leaves) and I can see a few "stripes" where it looks like it cleaned properly for a while, then cut out again. The dirt was very easily cleaned using a manual vacuum head, so it should have cleaned this.

What I am trying to decide is if I should repair it, or just buy a new cleaner. The two main concerns are:
1) As it is old I don't want to repait it, and then find the next thing breaks, and end up spending more than just buying a new one
2) I don't know how well the older Navigators clean. I don't want to spend money repairing this one to find out that a new cleaner whould have done a much better job for only a little more money.

Some extra facts:
- It is only in my hunting on the web that I found this should climb the walls. It has never done so during the few months I have had it. It looks like the rear flap needs replacement, but it may be more than just that.
- The pool is a "figure 8" or "hour-glass" shape, basically an oval with the long sides curved in, so there are lots of curves both convex and concave. There are two benches at the deep end, and a set of wide steps at the shallow end. I can clean these by hand, but it may affect the Navigators ability to clean.

Thank you

Pressure/suction cleaners tend to need annual maintenance, so you will probably be fixing it regularly even if you get a brand new one.

The Navigator is a suction side pool cleaner. Suction side cleaners are generally the least capable. I wouldn't expect one to be sufficient for your pool. Pressure side cleaners are better, robotic cleaners are the best. The price also goes up as capability increases, so robotic cleaners are the most expensive as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.