Ground water ran into my pool...

ktyler

Jun 18, 2013
Southwest Louisiana
We had a very hard rain night before last. When I came outside yesterday I found my pool cloudy and full of sand and dirt. It had been so clear before that. The water ran from the ground over my cement into the pool. My builder told me to just let the pump and dolphin do its job. I've ran the pump on high ever since and have been cleaning the dolphin and putting it going over and over. The water is still cloudy looking today. I'm worried about my filter, can it handle filtering that much dirt without messing the filters up? The dolphin filters are caked with mud when I clean them off. I'm open to any advice! This was along the shallow end but it looked like this everywhere.
y7asu7uq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think your doing the right things so far. It's going to take sometime to get it cleaned up. Clean your filter when pressure rises 20-25% of the clean pressure. That's important !

Also keep an eye on your FC level and CC to see if anything could be consuming chlorine. If You can post a set of test results that'll help us help you out also.

Somebody else may chime in with some more advice.

Thanks for the reply. My filter gauge is broken, pool builder said he would replace it but hasn't yet. I ended up just ordering one last week. It should be in early this week. My fc dropped to 0.5 when I tested this morning. My cc was 0. My salt generator is also not working, he told me he is replacing that too....this has been not working right for a while now. I'm doing bleach until he replaces it. If things could go wrong they have with this pool. At least everything is still under warranty. I'm reading up on the slamming process now. The water looks much worse this afternoon but I also brushed all the walls and floor after the dolphin ran the first time to try to get the filter to clean it...so that could be causing the cloudiness.

The very low FC level is contributing to the cloudiness also. You need to get the FC level in range for your CYA level. Test your CYA level and adjust FC for it before other problems start. Might be good idea to bring it up to SLAM level. Zero CC's is good sign. What is your water temp ?

Since pressure gauge is not working I would clean your filter now.

I tested water again this morning. It's still kind of green looking and when I brush a lot of dirt still comes up. These are my test results today. Ph 7.5, fc 7, cc.5, this barely got a hint of color when I added the drop and went back clear with one drop of the other solution. TA was 130, so what I need to do is add acid to lower my ph to 7.2 right? Cya was 20. Should I wait to add more of the stabilizer until I finish with this dirt and get the pool back clear? I don't want to wash it all out the filters when I clean them again.

I'm going to suggest SLAMMING it. Your CYA is in a good place for Slamming. Make sure you follow the directions to the T. I know your pressure gauge is broken. When do you think the new one will arrive ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you could test every hour in the beginning that would be great. The longer you maintain SLAM level the quicker it will go. When it falls below SLAM level bring it back up. Test as often as you can.

We had to drain the pool about two months ago because a piece of plastic was not seen under the liner when he installed it this past September causing two small holes, so he drained the pool and patched it underneath. When we refilled he had to put stuff in it to get rid of metals. The color then looks similar to how it looks now. Could I have gotten metals again from the ground water that ran in the other night?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.