Water looking a little cloudy after a heavy rain storm last night...

Feb 2, 2013
I'm a pool newbie with Mym pool installation being completed in May of 2013. I've kept it uncovered all winter and the water has stayed crystal clear. However, a heavy storm passed thru last night and brought heavy rains to our area and this morning the pool looked slightly cloudy. In the time I've had my pool it has never been anything but crystal clear. I admit, I am quite meticulous about keeping my pool leaf and dirt free and what I consider slight cloudiness might not be considered a problem for some people but it bothers me. So my question is this. What's causing the cloudiness? My PB suggested mixing 1/3 of a bag of shock in warm water in a large bucket and pouring that into the pool as I run the pool cleaner. Does this sound like a good plan of action? Or do I just let it go and see if it clears on it's own?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank:p

Hi myoung36! I'd give it a couple of days and let the filter do it's job. Sometimes your CYA will get out of whack after a rainstorm. If it hasn't cleared up after a few days you might check your water chemistry and add accordingly. It's nothing to freak out about. Something I haven't seen mentioned here in a while that I had to learn as well...POP (Pool Owner Patience). :D It can be the hardest thing to learn! :p

That does not sound like a good "plan". Rain rarely causes a problem. I would suspect a chemistry issue. Our recommendations are based on test results and then careful dosing to achieve a desired result.

How are you testing your pool?
What are the test results?
How are you chlorinating?

Just saw you have a SWG. How often are you testing you FC and CC? If you need to supplement the FC, we recommend using liquid chlorine / bleach.

Hi myoung36! I'd give it a couple of days and let the filter do it's job. Sometimes your CYA will get out of whack after a rainstorm. If it hasn't cleared up after a few days you might check your water chemistry and add accordingly. It's nothing to freak out about. Something I haven't seen mentioned here in a while that I had to learn as well...POP (Pool Owner Patience). :D It can be the hardest thing to learn! :p

I have to say that it takes an enormous amount of rain water to effect the CYA level. It is actually unlikely you would
get enough dilution from a rain to make much of a difference at all.

Even if it does dilute CYA some, it wouldn't be the cause of cloudy water.

Be very, very, careful about the need to add CYA after a rain, even a big long storm.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got a lot of fine dirt and more importantly, fertilizers washed into the pool. Ammonia compounds make thing green - lawns, pools, you name it.

Rather than just chuck a bucket of "shock" into the pool without knowing your CYA or CH levels (one or the other will be raised by the "shock") how about posting some test results? Then you can attack the problem scientifically, with facts instead of inuition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.