Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water looking a little cloudy after a heavy rain storm last night...

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Water looking a little cloudy after a heavy rain storm last night...

I'm a pool newbie with Mym pool installation being completed in May of 2013. I've kept it uncovered all winter and the water has stayed crystal clear. However, a heavy storm passed thru last night and brought heavy rains to our area and this morning the pool looked slightly cloudy. In the time I've had my pool it has never been anything but crystal clear. I admit, I am quite meticulous about keeping my pool leaf and dirt free and what I consider slight cloudiness might not be considered a problem for some people but it bothers me. So my question is this. What's causing the cloudiness? My PB suggested mixing 1/3 of a bag of shock in warm water in a large bucket and pouring that into the pool as I run the pool cleaner. Does this sound like a good plan of action? Or do I just let it go and see if it clears on it's own?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank
    26 x 37 x 8 Tee Shaped Pool / Mayan Liner w/ Sandstone colored bottom[/color]
    Hayward Max Flo vs pump
    SwimClear Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter
    Aqua Logic 15T Salt Generator
    2 Hayward Universal Color Logic Lights (12 volt transformer)
    12 Volt Dolphin M-4 Cleaner
    6 Foot Diving Board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water looking a little cloudy after a heavy rain storm last night...

Hi myoung36! I'd give it a couple of days and let the filter do it's job. Sometimes your CYA will get out of whack after a rainstorm. If it hasn't cleared up after a few days you might check your water chemistry and add accordingly. It's nothing to freak out about. Something I haven't seen mentioned here in a while that I had to learn as well...POP (Pool Owner Patience). It can be the hardest thing to learn!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

3. Back To Top    #3

That does not sound like a good "plan". Rain rarely causes a problem. I would suspect a chemistry issue. Our recommendations are based on test results and then careful dosing to achieve a desired result.

How are you testing your pool?
    What are the test results?
    How are you chlorinating?

Just saw you have a SWG. How often are you testing you FC and CC? If you need to supplement the FC, we recommend using liquid chlorine / bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

^^Agreed. I intentionally divert rainwater from my roof into my pool, and it doesn't get cloudy. You most likely have a chemistry issue, likely not enough FC for your your CYA level. If you can give us a little more info about/including test results, we'll try to help.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I would suspect a chemistry issue. Our recommendations are based on test results and then careful dosing to achieve a desired result.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by midtngal View Post
    Hi myoung36! I'd give it a couple of days and let the filter do it's job. Sometimes your CYA will get out of whack after a rainstorm. If it hasn't cleared up after a few days you might check your water chemistry and add accordingly. It's nothing to freak out about. Something I haven't seen mentioned here in a while that I had to learn as well...POP (Pool Owner Patience). It can be the hardest thing to learn!
    I have to say that it takes an enormous amount of rain water to effect the CYA level. It is actually unlikely you would
    get enough dilution from a rain to make much of a difference at all.

Even if it does dilute CYA some, it wouldn't be the cause of cloudy water.

Be very, very, careful about the need to add CYA after a rain, even a big long storm.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got a lot of fine dirt and more importantly, fertilizers washed into the pool. Ammonia compounds make thing green - lawns, pools, you name it.

Rather than just chuck a bucket of "shock" into the pool without knowing your CYA or CH levels (one or the other will be raised by the "shock") how about posting some test results? Then you can attack the problem scientifically, with facts instead of inuition.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Another vote for FC levels have fallen below min for the CYA level.

I'll bet some liquid chlorine would clear it up. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.