3 jets not working?

Jan 5, 2008
Geelong Australia
Hi there

My next door neighbour has a concrete inground pool with a spa pool attached to it. I also have an inground fibreglass pool and have always attempted to resolve my own pool problems.

This morning he called over and asked for my input to what might be the problem with his spa. I'll try to include as much information as possible. The spa measure approx. 2 metres x 1.5 and is about 2 metres deep with steps.

The spa is salt water chlorinated and solar and gas heated. It has 6 jets that are controlled by the main pump which is a Hurlcon CX320 (240V 1630 Watts). Pump seems fine, working as it should. No visible leaks, no unusual noise and visually the filter is spotless. 2 jets at the side are for the heating.

Only 3 of the spa jets are working (and two of them have less pressure than one of them). With the other 3: one is delivering a very low pressure stream of water (almost not visible) and the other two are sucking? rather than "blowing" water. If you block the jet adjacent to the one that is discharging at very low pressure - the stream pressure increases marginally.

Any ideas where to start trying to analyse what is going on here. My first thought was the possibility of a partially blocked inlet (there appears to be 6 inlets?) from the spa to the pump, but not sure how you would check that.

Cheers

It does sound like reduced flow. First, you do have the valves set to the spa? Next check would be to ask if anyone removed the eyeballs in the spa jets for any reason. Because the water will take the path of least resistance, and if there's no restriction, that means whichever opening is closest. What is the filter pressure? Higher than normal? Lower than normal?

Hi there

I checked all the eyballs and they seem fine. Didn't think to check filter pressure but I do know that he backwashes it regularly. He's away for business for a few days so I'll pick this up again when he returns.
It would be great to find a resolution.

Cheers

OK, we spent a couple of hours on this today and really got nowhere, except to say that we checked the inlets (suction side) to make sure there were no blockages. Filter pressure is steady at 100kpa. Made sure all valves were turned to the right position (by way of the of the flow chart left by the pool installer). Cleaned the filter in the spa pump.
The only variable is the jet adjuster (which acts like a venturi I think) but with it screwed out of it's housing a 4th jet gets some action, but still the 2 jets further on from it show no action at all?
Obviously, you cant leave the adjuster out so screwing it back into place then reduces the flow from the 4th jet.

This is frustrating. If the pump was faulty would it be possible that it could only "feed" 3 jets and not the 6? I'm out of ideas.
Cheers

It is not likely a pump problem. Have you removed all the nozzles and run it to see if there is a blockage? Might have to plug up a few of the jets to force the water to the limited jets.

It is not likely a pump problem. Have you removed all the nozzles and run it to see if there is a blockage? Might have to plug up a few of the jets to force the water to the limited jets.

Hi there

What we were going to try next was swapping out the spa pump with the pool pump. They are exactly the same brand, height, width etc but the pool pump has a more powerful motor. I agree with your suggestion that it might be a blockage somewhere. How do you remove the nozzles (I'm assuming you mean the outlets into the spa) from the spa wall? Do they just pry off?

They are not adjustable in any way as opposed to my spa bath in the bathroom that have nozzles you can turn up or down, but are just a straight nozzle into the spa.

Cheers

I have to take the filter out to get reasonable pressure to my jets and still 3 work well and one is lackluster. If I block off the 3 that are good, then water just starts shooting up the venturi pipe. I also found that when I replaced my pump basket, that helped too as the old one had heated up and deformed the holes

How do you remove the nozzles (I'm assuming you mean the outlets into the spa) from the spa wall? Do they just pry off?
The nozzles are not on the outside, they are deep within the wall of the spa. You need a socket wrench with a long extension to remove them. Most spa jet nozzles look like this:

94456.jpg

You will need to remove the outer fittings too but they will usually twist off or unscrew by hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.