Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So I used PUCKS this winter

1. Back To Top    #1

So I used PUCKS this winter

When I turned my SWG off....I know I know!!! But I had a weird thing happen. I had some either metal or organic stains on the creases of steps and by using pucks this winter they all disappeared.... Could I be imagining that?? I know you use pucks to test stains, but could they also remove them?

I was putting the pucks in the baskets also!! I know....

Also, when should I start adding salt back to my pool? Is there a certain temp?? Time??
    25,000g In Ground Saltwater pool-plaster--rock water fall with water Jets- Polaris 280 vacum-Hayward ecostar pump- Hayward booster pump-TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So I used PUCKS this winter

I would guess if you had any "stains"----they would have had to be organic in nature if the pucks truly "fixed" it. Maybe they just helped keep up your FC level? I think most folks kick the SWG back in with a water temp of 60. Most won't operate under that temp I believe.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it was calcium scale, it could be dissolved by a combination of low pH from the acidic pucks and cooler temperature, which lowers CSI.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone's guess, but I would bet organic stains and extended high FC. And what I would hope it was.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

So did I make a mistake turning my salt cell off and using pucks this winter?

Pool water was 61 yesterday.
    25,000g In Ground Saltwater pool-plaster--rock water fall with water Jets- Polaris 280 vacum-Hayward ecostar pump- Hayward booster pump-TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That depends on what the pucks did to your CYA level. By that I mean, how much did they raise it. Test your CYA level and see where it's at. For your SWG you want your CYA level to be in the 70-80 ppm range.

If your water is 61 I think that's warm enough for your SWG to work. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Traylork View Post
    So did I make a mistake turning my salt cell off and using pucks this winter?

Pool water was 61 yesterday.
    That depends entirely on the test results. You might have too high CYA, or too low pH and TA, from using pucks. Testing is the only way to know.

Also note that you only need to add salt if you lost water due to splashout or overflow or backwashing. Again, the only way to know is to test the salt level.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

As mentioned, SWG's don't produce chlorine when the water gets too cold, commonly below 60 degrees.

We recommend using liquid chlorine/bleach during the times that the SWG is not working/turned off as liquid chlorine/bleach does not have any harmful side effects.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess I will pull the pucks and start adding bleach.

Is there a formula for the amount of bleach per size of pool?

Going to wait to turn the salt cell back on and add salt until spring break.

10. Back To Top    #10

Use this to calc. Amount of bleach to add. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.