Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiber for DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Austin, TX

Cool Fiber for DE filter

Just wanted to follow up after more than a year using Zeofiber. This stuff is great! Not sure if all fiber brands are similar, I assume so. I went to clean my filter a couple days ago, and forgot to backwash. I remembered as soon as I had the Filter cover off... but low and behold, the filters weren't nearly as "caked" as DE use to be after backwashing! I just unscrewed the bottom drain and started hosing off the filters one by one. Barely much residue left in the grass. 30 minutes later all clean and re-added 12 cups of fiber (48' filter) into the skimmer, and back to running like a top. Water stays clear - as long as you don't let algae start blooming I have a Poolskim and run it with low pump speed. It was starting to "not suck" so well, the reason I cleaned the filter. Now it's back to working well. Just in time for Oak leaves to start falling.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Fiber for DE filter

Thanks for the update
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Fiber for DE filter

I found the cellulose doesn't harden up like DE, but it does seem to stick. I do what you did: I left the grids in place and hit them with the jet nozzle and let it all drain out the bottom.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!