Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: booster pump leaks. Thinking to use Polaris 360 instead 280 if booster pump is dead

1. Back To Top    #1

booster pump leaks. Thinking to use Polaris 360 instead 280 if booster pump is dead

IMG_20140221_084711.jpgIMG_20140221_084726.jpgHi all,

My PB pressure tested my pool plumbing as a whole and discovered a leak in the booster pump. See the attached photo. Water pools up in the opening where the stick is touching. Any idea on what the problem is?

A side note. If the booster pump is totally dead, I am thinking if I should switch from Polaris 280 to 360. I know 280 requires a booster pump while 360 does not. My plumbing configuration allows me to divert all the water to the cleaner if necessary. Here is the dilemma. I bought a brand new 280 almost 2 years ago and never used it. If I switch to 360, I will sell the 280 and buy a 360. BTW, my pool does not collect a lot of leaves. My consideration on the switch are based on the following:

1. simplify the system. Reduce the number of pumps. Less breakable component
    2. quiet operation. Does booster pump run much louder than the pool pump?
    3. operation cost. Is it cheaper to run a pool pump than a booster pump for cleaning?
    4. cleaning power

BTW, I will be getting either a 2-speed or a VS pump.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Scott
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: booster pump leaks. Thinking to use Polaris 360 instead 280 if booster pump is d

That location for a leak pojnts to a shaft seal gone bad.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: booster pump leaks. Thinking to use Polaris 360 instead 280 if booster pump is d

Yeah, it sure sounds like a shaft seal which is a cheap fix up front but then you still end up with a robot that consumes quite a bit of electricity.

I would suggest a self-contained robot for around $1000 that would cut your electrical consumption by eliminating the booster and all the noise associated with it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School