How to handle a pool at a vacation home?

Hey All,

Found the forum by googleing a question, didn't really find an answer from using search function, everything pops up that is kind of opposite of what I want to know. Found lots of info about what to do with your pool when leaving for vacation...but I am looking for info on maintaining a pool at my cabin up north during the week while we are at the permanent home near our jobs; and only visit/use the pool on weekends, and maybe not every single weekend. I'm not new to pools, I've had one since I was 7 yrs old, and was the one elected to maintain it. But it seems by now, there would be some sort of automatic dispenser for chemicals or something like that. I can put a timer switch on the filter, and I guess while not the best timing, but can backwash the filter first thing when I get up there. Also thought about running a hose to the pool and installing a float switch to maintain water level, as to not suck air in through the skimmer. I'm just looking for options aside from hiring a "pool boy" as it seems it'd be quite expensive. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,
Eric.

Welcome to TFP!

I'd say a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) is your best option. You may need to adjust the pH on weekends, but once you dial in the chlorine it should stay in pretty good shape.

Another option is a stenner pump setup or a liquidator. All three methods automate the supply of chlorine without adding unwanted chemicals. Research and see which might do you best, feel free to ask questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.