Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to handle a pool at a vacation home?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to handle a pool at a vacation home?

Hey All,

Found the forum by googleing a question, didn't really find an answer from using search function, everything pops up that is kind of opposite of what I want to know. Found lots of info about what to do with your pool when leaving for vacation...but I am looking for info on maintaining a pool at my cabin up north during the week while we are at the permanent home near our jobs; and only visit/use the pool on weekends, and maybe not every single weekend. I'm not new to pools, I've had one since I was 7 yrs old, and was the one elected to maintain it. But it seems by now, there would be some sort of automatic dispenser for chemicals or something like that. I can put a timer switch on the filter, and I guess while not the best timing, but can backwash the filter first thing when I get up there. Also thought about running a hose to the pool and installing a float switch to maintain water level, as to not suck air in through the skimmer. I'm just looking for options aside from hiring a "pool boy" as it seems it'd be quite expensive. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,
    Eric.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to handle a pool at a vacation home?

Welcome to TFP!

I'd say a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) is your best option. You may need to adjust the pH on weekends, but once you dial in the chlorine it should stay in pretty good shape.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Another option is a stenner pump setup or a liquidator. All three methods automate the supply of chlorine without adding unwanted chemicals. Research and see which might do you best, feel free to ask questions.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd investigate a saltwater generator. If you cover the pool when you're gone, you won't lose much chlorine or water. I've found evaporation to be more dependent on wind than on temperature.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies everyone. After a lot of reading on the suggestions, I think I want to go with a Stenner pump. Now, the next challenge...do I want to build an enclosure to make an indoor pool???