Intellichlor IC60 on 1.5 in return line

Aug 18, 2013
South Carolina
Hi. I have decided to take the plunge with a SWG and purchased the Intellichlor IC60 for my 20 x 40 33k gallon pool. I'm hoping that someone with some experience can give this newbie some good advice :)
The pool is aboiut 22 years old, and is plumbed completely with 1.5 inch PVC (2 intake from pool, 1 return). There are no heaters or chlorinators in the loop. The connections on either end of the Intellichlor are 2 inch. I called Pentair tech support, and they said that fitting the SWG with 1.5 to 2 inch adapters would be acceptable as long as the chlorinator is getting at least 25 GPM. My question is this. Should I run 2 inch from my Hayward 30 inch sand filter to the intake of the Intellichlor, then adapt to the 1.5 inch pipe at the outlet, or keep the pipe at 1.5 inch with an adapter at both ends?

Ok...the deed is done. I've plumbed for the Intellichlor, but currently I've got the pass-through in place instead of the actual unit. Per instructions, I've installed the power center to the 'load' terminals of my pump timer, so it will get power only when the pump is running.

The pool water here in SC is still in the 50 degree range, and will probably remain so for the next month or two, so i don't plan on installing the IC60 until the water reaches 60 degrees consistently.

One more question...do i need to disconnect power from the Intellichlor power center when the IC60 is not connected? I will still need to run the pump 8 or so hours a day, and the power center will get power as well during this time.

Thanks, Jason. I thought it might be ok, but i found nothing in the documentation (nor on the web) specifically saying so. Pump is on, green LED in the power center...drawing .01 AMP (likely for the LED).

btw...your pool calculator is awesome :) Sadly, i spent quite a lot of time in it last year. Hopefully this year, with the SWG, swim season will be a little less painful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.