Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor IC60 on 1.5 in return line

1. Back To Top    #1

Intellichlor IC60 on 1.5 in return line

Hi. I have decided to take the plunge with a SWG and purchased the Intellichlor IC60 for my 20 x 40 33k gallon pool. I'm hoping that someone with some experience can give this newbie some good advice
    The pool is aboiut 22 years old, and is plumbed completely with 1.5 inch PVC (2 intake from pool, 1 return). There are no heaters or chlorinators in the loop. The connections on either end of the Intellichlor are 2 inch. I called Pentair tech support, and they said that fitting the SWG with 1.5 to 2 inch adapters would be acceptable as long as the chlorinator is getting at least 25 GPM. My question is this. Should I run 2 inch from my Hayward 30 inch sand filter to the intake of the Intellichlor, then adapt to the 1.5 inch pipe at the outlet, or keep the pipe at 1.5 inch with an adapter at both ends?
    20' x 40' inground vinyl 33k gallons
    Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    Hayward 30 inch Sand filter
    Polaris 360
    Intellichlor IC60 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intellichlor IC60 on 1.5 in return line

If you are doing any PVC work on the pad, I recommend upgrading it to 2" to improve flow rate. But, there is nothing wrong with just using adapters where required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, jb. I've got about 6 ft of pipe from the filter to where it goes underground. I'll upgrade everything visible to 2 inch, and put the reducer at about ground level. Hopefully, that will help a bit with the flow.
    Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    Polaris 360
    Intellichlor IC60 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok...the deed is done. I've plumbed for the Intellichlor, but currently I've got the pass-through in place instead of the actual unit. Per instructions, I've installed the power center to the 'load' terminals of my pump timer, so it will get power only when the pump is running.

The pool water here in SC is still in the 50 degree range, and will probably remain so for the next month or two, so i don't plan on installing the IC60 until the water reaches 60 degrees consistently.

One more question...do i need to disconnect power from the Intellichlor power center when the IC60 is not connected? I will still need to run the pump 8 or so hours a day, and the power center will get power as well during this time.
    Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    Polaris 360
    Intellichlor IC60 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

You can leave the power center connected and powered even when the cell is disconnected.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Jason. I thought it might be ok, but i found nothing in the documentation (nor on the web) specifically saying so. Pump is on, green LED in the power center...drawing .01 AMP (likely for the LED).

btw...your pool calculator is awesome Sadly, i spent quite a lot of time in it last year. Hopefully this year, with the SWG, swim season will be a little less painful.
    Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    Polaris 360
    Intellichlor IC60 SWG