Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New plaster pool...no clue what to do next..PLS HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

New plaster pool...no clue what to do next..PLS HELP

Good morning ! I am new here and have had information overload for the past week reading on here. What a great site and wealth of information!

My new IG pool just finished. Plaster is about 10 days old. Pool guy has come and done startup. I am not sure what he added but assume it is chlorine and other chemicals. He's been back for pool school where he gave me a test kit and TONS of information (6hours of pool school). I got overwhelmed and now completely lost. The pool currently uses chlorine tabs but from reading here I learned that it is better to not use those and switch to liquid bleach?

What do I do now? I have no idea what to do, what to add, what to test. I have ordered the test kit (TF-100)and it will come next week hopefully. When it comes, I'm sure I will have tons of questions on what to do. but for now, in the meantime, is there something that I need to be doing? It looks like I need to keep the ph level at a certain level. How do I do that?

I apologize for the barage of questions and lack of knowledge. I feel very overwhelmed and so nervous about messing up. Thank you so much for any advice you may have

Take care!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New plaster pool...no clue what to do next..PLS HELP

Welcome to the forum.

Well, you need a starting point to tell us the condition of the water. What brand and type of test kit did he give you and can you post test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ummmmmmmmm----------we got the BEST pool school you could attend right here! Welcome, have patience and absorb a few small chunks of info at a time. I'm astounded that you got 6 hours worth of "schooling" from your PB.

We need pics!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

My response in blue

Quote Originally Posted by cc517 View Post
    My new IG pool just finished. Plaster is about 10 days old. Pool guy has come and done startup. I am not sure what he added but assume it is chlorine and other chemicals. He's been back for pool school where he gave me a test kit and TONS of information (6hours of pool school). I got overwhelmed and now completely lost. The pool currently uses chlorine tabs but from reading here I learned that it is better to not use those and switch to liquid bleach?
    It is fine for you to use the tabs for plaster start-up because they make it easier to slowly introduce chlorine and CYA and they are acidic and will help keep the pH from rising faster. Keep a record of how many tabs you have used so that you do not overshoot your recommended CYA level.

What do I do now? I have no idea what to do, what to add, what to test. I have ordered the test kit (TF-100)and it will come next week hopefully. When it comes, I'm sure I will have tons of questions on what to do. but for now, in the meantime, is there something that I need to be doing? It looks like I need to keep the ph level at a certain level. How do I do that?
    Use muriatic acid to keep the pH in the mid 7's.

I apologize for the barage of questions and lack of knowledge. I feel very overwhelmed and so nervous about messing up. Thank you so much for any advice you may have
    Don't worry, folks here will help you with any questions.

Welcome to the forum

Take care!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi there
    Finally received the test kit (TF100) and after some days of hard rain I am finally able to perform the test. Here are my test results. My pool is a chlorine in ground pool. around 20k...

FC - 1.5
    CC =0
    TC - 1.5
    TA - 70
    CH - 175
    CYA=60
    pH -8.2

My question is...now what?

Thanks again for your help!

6. Back To Top    #6

What did the plasterer tell you about chemistry balance to support the warranty?

Your pH is too high, but you CH is too low. If you lower the pH with such a low CH, that could damage the plaster.

You also MUST keep the FC level above 5ppm at all times to prevent algae from starting. See the FC/CYA Chart.

And your CYA is already above our recommended range, so you must not use any trichlor pucks or dichlor granular chlorine ... only use liquid chlorine / bleach.

Have you read Pool School yet? If not, take a look at these to start:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the fast response! I have read pool school a few times but very overwhelmed. Here is what I think I need to do? please confirm and/or correct where I am wrong

1) Turn off my trichlor puck dispenser
    2) Add about 2 jugs of home bleach 6% should take care of FC level being too low
    3) Add 370z of calcium chloride or 490oz of calcium chloride dihydrate to increase CH
    4) Add 20oz of muriatic acid to lower ph

Is this correct? Can I do this in one day?

8. Back To Top    #8

1. Yes and remove the pucks.
    2. They will be 8.25% most likely, check the label for active ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite %.
    This one will be long term and something you will do regularly and frequently. Perhaps, and likely daily once it gets warm.

3. Double check the calc before any chemical addition. If Ok, proceed.

4. Same as # 3. Always double check and recheck later to verify your chem additions to pool math suggestions. Your pool may be a little different in volume than you estimate.

You can do it in one day. Wait about 30 minutes between each chemical addition.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

What CH are you targeting? I think I would go for about 300ppm as the plaster may cause this to rise still (I think )
    And then get the pH to around 7.5

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I just redid the CYA test bc I got scared and its more like 45-50.

11. Back To Top    #11

Those puck feeders can get you into trouble quickly. Glad we caught it now
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Good morning all
    Last night I added about 1.5 gallons of 8.25% bleach to the pool. Tested the FC just now and it is 8.5. Which is way high. I'm not sure what I did wrong or what to do from here

I will add the calcium chloride dihydrate and muriatic acid later on today.

Thanks for your support and help!
    21k galloons IG pebblesheen chlorine
    Rainbow 320 Chlorinator; Cartidge Filter Pentair 520
    1 Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed, 1 1.5HP Whisperflo for water features
    Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner
    Pool completion date: 1/25/2014 TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

With a CYA of 50ish, keep the FC between 4 and 6 and never below 4. You are fine at 8.5 FC as it will drift down naturally. I suggest you test/adjust FC each evening after the sun is off the pool. Add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to reach 6 FC each evening and you will soon learn how much FC your pool uses daily.

Test/adjust daily to keep the pH in the mid 7's. Don't forget to brush the pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~