Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build. Going with Chlorine, auto feeder needed??

1. Back To Top    #1

New build. Going with Chlorine, auto feeder needed??

I'm just getting into my pool build. I am going with Chlorine (no SWCG). Do I need an auto feeder of some sort or is this for the tablets only ???
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build. Going with Chlorine, auto feeder needed??

Most of us just dump the bleach in by hand. There are automated feeders for liquid chlorine. Here's a thread to get you started: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Chlorine-pump

If you use the search box for liquidator or peristaltic, you'll find lots more.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's how I add my bleach. Doesn't take long to dump a quart in there.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've always wondered about the phrase, "just dump the bleach in by hand." It may sound stupid, but are you literally adding the bleach directly into the pool?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes. With the circulation in the pool it mixes fairly quick.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

6. Back To Top    #6

At the size your listing you're a candidate for either a pump or the LQ (liquidator), However I prefer the injection pump over the LQ, but that's a personal preference.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jro33176 View Post
    I've always wondered about the phrase, "just dump the bleach in by hand." It may sound stupid, but are you literally adding the bleach directly into the pool?
    Absolutely! I simply pour it slowly in right in front of the return in the deepend.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

With a Vinyl liner pool, do you have to be careful where you pour it so you don't fade/bleach the pool liner? I would imagine a high concentration of bleach hitting one spot of the liner might be harmful??

20k Gallon IG Vinyl Pool - 19 x 34 Rectangle - 3ft to 6ft depths

9. Back To Top    #9

If you pour slowly in front of a return jet in the deep end (if you have one) as we recommend, then there is no concern. I quick run if the brush afterward can ensure nothing pooled on the bottom.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I usually lower the jug of bleach into the pool so the spout is about an 1" above the water and pour slow. No splashes to get on clothes, liner or skin. I do acid the same way to lower PH.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

11. Back To Top    #11

You can always get one of those cute little Duck puck holders to float around and put in a few while away for the weekend or on vacation. Cheaper than a built in tab feeder----and cuter!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jeams View Post
    With a Vinyl liner pool, do you have to be careful where you pour it so you don't fade/bleach the pool liner? I would imagine a high concentration of bleach hitting one spot of the liner might be harmful??
    Yes. That's why we say
    Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    It's funny in a morbid kind of way when someone posts here that they listened to the pool store experts and scattered some miracle powder on the surface of the pool, it settled to the bottom, and now their liner is freckled.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    That's how I add my bleach. Doesn't take long to dump a quart in there.
    Just wanted to state that I don't "dump" my bleach in. I pour it slowly in front of the return.

It was just a jest !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks everyone.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)