New Pool Cypress, TX Pics

CCisotope

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2013
Cypress, TX
We have finally signed a contract and our construction process begins. Here is the final design of our pool

Pool specs:

GUNITE POOL
22ft. x 36 ft., 674 sq. ft. Angular Pool, 119 ln ft depth of 3 1/2 ft to 6 ft
3/8 in. rebar on 8 in. 12 x 12 inch box beam containing 4- 1/2 inch rebar
Gunite: 12 inch continuous bond beam with 6 to 9 inch walls and floors
6 returns with adjustable eyeball fittings; 4 main drains-2 in floor and 2 in wall
2 inch suction and 1½ inch return lines , 2 skimmers included , 2 separate skimmer lines all the way back to pump controlled by a Jandy valve , 2 main drains in pool w/ VGBA approved Anti-Entrapment Drain Covers, 2 Hydrostatic Relief Pipes in pool main drains
Fill Line- Automatic (with pressurized vacuum breaker),Overflow- With Drain System
2 LED multi color Pool light. 3ft sheer descent and two 1 1/2 ft sheer descents on pillars, Wet Edge prism matrix plaster

ATTACHED GUNITE SPA
7ftx7ft square
Raised 18 in. above pool level, 3’ 6” deep
3/8 in. rebar on 8 in. centers with continuous bond beam of 1/2 in. rebar
8 Jets, 2 returns and 2 main drains in floor
Contour seating and multilevel

COPING: Travertine

PLASTER:
Pool: WetEdge Satin and Pearl Matrix custom blend with glass beads and abalone shell
Spa: Wet Edge custom glass bead blend
Base color for both pool and spa is Pearl Matrix Mediterranean

RAISED BEAMS
(1) 17ft. long X 18 in. high, raised 18 in. covered in glass tile
(2) 8ft. long X 10 in. high, raised 10 in. covered in travertine

DECKING
807 sq. ft spray decking

DRAINAGE
4" area drains (out of city) tied into Existing - 5 of these around the decking.

EQUIPMENT
Pentair 520 sq. ft. Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Model CCP520
Pentair 3 HP intelliflow V.S Ultra Energy Efficient pump, PN 011018
Pentair 400,000 BTU Heater Master Temp
Pentair 2 HP Whisperflo, Model WF-28
Silencer Air Blower 1.5 HP
Pentair Boost Rite Universal Booster Pump
Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator

Other Equipment:
Pentair Legend Platinum Pool Cleaner
2 Pool Light and 1 Spa light- premium LED multicolored with light shows
2 programable time clocks (pool and pool cleaner),
Easy Touch 8 Remote system and wireless controller,

Pool maintenance equipment included: Test kit, pole, brush, net, vacuum hose, vacuum head, thermometer

All Pentair pool equipment covered by 3 yr. parts and labor warranty.
Contingency for Sprinkler repair, grass, concrete repair, utilities

Dig pics are next. I haven't been on the forum for a while but like the changes and the new info on Pool building. It really helps the new pool builder with some basic questions about equipment without having to search through the forums.

Last edited:
They did the steel and some of the plumbing today. They will do the dig for the rest of the plumbing tomorrow and Gunite guys are coming at 11 am tomorrow.

Here are pics of steel and plumbing. I was really shocked to see that there aren't many tubes for plumbing. I guess if you don't get the in ground cleaner the plumbing guys don't need to stay that long.
I do have one concern, in the pics you see these cardboard like sheets along the bottom. Is this normal? will this affect the gunite adhering to the ground? and can this cause problems in the future as this cardboard like material starts to degrade in the ground? It did rain a little bit today, so I was wondering if the crew was using this for the mud and just left it behind? I haven't seen this cardboard like material being used in other builds that have been posted so was a bit curious and concerned.

Plumbing along back raised wall/beam

spa plumbing and more cardboard like sheets on bottom

Back side wall/beam

skimmer with water bottles on bottom

Bench area

Drains, two are on the bottom and 2 are on the side. Some PB prefer to do 2 on the side and 2 on bottom, not really sure what the advantage or disadvantage is.

We have a lot of benches on our build and long stairs with the thought being to have dive in movie nights and to use the back wall to prop up a screen. Also the deep end of the pool nearest the fence will be a dedicated lap lane for the kids to practice their swim strokes, diving and flip turns. Our PB really listen to how we were going to use the pool and ended up digging the deep end on that side to 7ft for safer diving while the rest is 6 feet.

Hopefully they clean out the water bottles and extra rebarb and piping pieces out before they shoot the gunite tomorrow. More pics to come soon

VegasKid nice design and howdy neighbor.

It took us a little while to pick a PB and just a couple of things I learned while we were going through this process that might help others. Not only research your PB but also research the contractors and subcontractors they may use. We interviewed a range of PB- from those that are well known and advertise along hwy 290, to the smaller guys. From my experience the bigger guys are not always better, even though they try to justify their high cost with service and quality. Many of these PB use the same contractors so research the contractors too. I personally found the some of the bigger guys to be a little arrogant and always trying to upsell products( like in ground pool cleaner and when you decide you don't want it you never hear back from them). We ended up going with a PB that ultimately came up with this design. We made a few adjustments but he really seemed to listen to what we wanted and how we were going to use the pool. Good luck to those that are just beginning the journey...and take your time to do your research.

Jro33176: So I looked up the tag on one of the boards and it is Eucaboard made from Eucalyptus trees. The rebar guys used it to keep the rebar out of the mud since it rained a little bit yesterday and it was a little muddy in the bottom. The gunite guy is here today and I asked about the boards, he said it wont cause any problem in the future when it starts to degrade.

Looking good ! Howdy from another another Cypress neighbor!!

We also have 2 drains in the floor and 2 in the wall for our waterfall/slide.
PB said he did it so that waterfall doesn't interfere with main pool drainage.

We had a similar experience with 'the bigger guys' and also went with a smaller PB (the same as Vegas Kid as it happens). We have no regrets. In fact, my PB was at my house this morning 6 months after finishing the pool to sort out something minor for me. Great service!

Keep the pics coming! Design looks great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys came and did the Gunite. It was really cool to watch them do this and the technology that they use in construction is so cool. The gunite guys were great and look at all the nice edges :D. While I was watching the crew, they were joking with the concrete smoother about his corners and how square they were. So to prove that his corners were nice and square he put the corner of the pegboard onto the corner and it was square. Crew did a great job and were having a good time.

We are having an additional patio built off of the garage so we will have 2 entrances into the pool one of the new patio and one off the existing. And lots of benches around the perimeter.

Spa and Steps and Benches pics

Contour sitting in spa and multilevel:

Back wall with 3 ft sheer descent and 2 pillars on side with 1 1/2 ft sheer descents in each and bench

Deep end of the pool:

Plumbing pics next.

We just wrote our first big check for this project...it really hurts to see that money go. We live in area with community pools but we have found the upkeep at our community pool to be horrible. After my son got sick(throwing up sick) this past summer from swimming in the community pool we finally decided to go ahead and build. Please tell me it will be worth it in the end... Also what is left of the yard is just piles of dirt and bits of concrete now...but I have been preparing myself. At least our raised garden behind the garage is still intact. The plumbing guys were able to dig next to it and run the pipes.

We need to figure out our plaster colors next. We will be using WetEdge prism matrix finish in the pool and Jewelscape finish in the spa. Not many people use the prism matrix finish so it is really hard to get an idea of what the color will look like once its filled with water. I've been to the website and wet the sample pieces but one really can't get a good sense of the color. I've found one other post where they use the prism matrix and it looks beautiful. Has anyone else used prism matrix in their pool? For jewelscape, it has been impossible to find pics. Has anyone else used Jewelscape? This will only be in the spa area for us.

Cbink: I wanted to give you a quick "Hello"! It has been a while my friend. No room in the budget for a kitchen but I took your advice and had them pre-plumb and wire everything for later. Have you started your kitchen yet?

Oh yeah one concern I did have is on one side of the spa there is rebar showing through. I think the rebar guys didn't bend the steel to straight on that one side so when the gunite guys went to smooth it out it was hard to smooth because the rebar curved outward slightly. I am assuming they are going to fill it in later before tile work. Will this cause problems later on? has this happened to anyone during their build?

Ypur pool so far looks great as a general rule no debries should be left prior to concretin same for gunite . Wow u are sitting on so much clay u didnt need rebar or gunite , all that clay will hold all the water u ant , No just kidding. You want at least 2 inches of concrete over the rebar so make sure the gunite guys or the tile guy fills it for 2 inch over not including the mud for the tile. Also not sure if u are covering ur pool in winter like us up north if u are getting a pool cover like Loc Loop then consider plain Concrete deck around your pool dont use pavers . paver do not allow for good anchoring of the Pool cover. It is worth it if u like pools and splashing around ur money is not wasted dont worry. but U do need to take car of you pool as the Green Monster (AL GEE ) lurks around lol just sayin

No kitchen yet. The wife insisted we put down wood floors first before starting any more of 'my' projects! Lol!
Well hardwood floors are down and kitchen is next on the list. I'm hoping to do it end of this year but we'll see how funds are at the end of the year.

Gunite looks good.

And yes, it's definitely worth it!! We too have neighborhood pools but we stopped going when my wife told me the lifeguard had fallen asleep multiple times when she was there. I phoned up the management company and went ballistic. We built a year or so earlier than we had originally intended (hence why the kitchen is phase 2).

We have pearl matrix not prism I'm afraid. Still, if you want to take a look just IM me - you're more than welcome to stop by and see it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.