Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help slecting pump size

1. Back To Top    #1

need help slecting pump size

Hello,

I am building my own inground pool 16X32 with 3 stone scuppers 6 returns 2 skimmers 2 main drains , i am guessing about 13800 gal, right now i am on the coping and tile stage not shure what size of pool pump to buy, 1hp? 2hp? 1 speed? 2 Speed....please help thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help slecting pump size

Generally you want a smaller pump, either a two speed, or variable speed if your electric rates are especially high. If you have a spa you will want a specific size pump to match the spa design, but for a basic pool smaller is generally better, and two speed (or variable) will save you dramatic amounts on your electric bill.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

i am also in the selecting pool pump stage. in 'my build thread' i mentioned that i may plan to add solar panels on a garage roof at a later date, and was advised a variable speed pump by BoDarville. reviews have led me to believe the Pentair and Hayward both make good/reliable variable speed pumps. my only hang-up is that they run on 230v, in fact i don't think they make a pump that runs on 115v. i plan to put all the pool equipment in my detached garage which will leave probably a 40-50feet one way run to the pool. i cant remember if we wired the garage sub panel for 220, so i'll have to look into this.
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

4. Back To Top    #4

All of the variable speed pumps I have seen are 230 volts, but two speed pumps that run on 115 volts are fairly common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

ok just looked into it i should be good.
    jasonlion- i see you have a pentair, are you happy with it? from my research, it seems pentair and Hayward make a good /reliable pump. is that your experience? also do you have recommendation for my size pool? the current plan is in my signature.

thanks
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Generally you want a smaller pump, either a two speed, or variable speed if your electric rates are especially high. If you have a spa you will want a specific size pump to match the spa design, but for a basic pool smaller is generally better, and two speed (or variable) will save you dramatic amounts on your electric bill.

thank's for your help jasonlion