Are Skimmer Sox worthwhile?

Milan

Feb 4, 2014
Hi,

I came across Skimmer basket sox - which are fine mesh sox you place over skimmer baskets. Are these worthwhile to capture finer rubbish that would generally go through the skimmer basket? The selling claim is that keeps your filter cleaner. One concern I would have is that the pump needs to work harder - but having bought one - it doesn't seem that it would inhibit water flow too much.

Kind regards,
Milan.

I just use the "panty" portion of a pair of panty hose. Does the same job, cheaper. I have noticed the pump having to work any harder using them. I cut the legs off the pantyhose and use them to hold thistle for my finches to eat, use the panty portion in my skimmer............100% recycled!

In my case, they are CRITICAL! I have a row of pine trees next to my property. I have them in both skimmers and use knee highs in the pump basket. I burned up 4 pumps before I realized that I needed something in the pump basket as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.