Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are Skimmer Sox worthwhile?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are Skimmer Sox worthwhile?

Hi,

I came across Skimmer basket sox - which are fine mesh sox you place over skimmer baskets. Are these worthwhile to capture finer rubbish that would generally go through the skimmer basket? The selling claim is that keeps your filter cleaner. One concern I would have is that the pump needs to work harder - but having bought one - it doesn't seem that it would inhibit water flow too much.

Kind regards,
    Milan.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are Skimmer Sox worthwhile?

I just use the "panty" portion of a pair of panty hose. Does the same job, cheaper. I have noticed the pump having to work any harder using them. I cut the legs off the pantyhose and use them to hold thistle for my finches to eat, use the panty portion in my skimmer............100% recycled!
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, worth it. I buy cheap knee-hi's at the drug store. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...on-Illustrated
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I've used the socks and knee highs. Wouldn't go without them period.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Works great on pollen.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

In my case, they are CRITICAL! I have a row of pine trees next to my property. I have them in both skimmers and use knee highs in the pump basket. I burned up 4 pumps before I realized that I needed something in the pump basket as well.
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

7. Back To Top    #7

The main thing when the pollen is flying around is make sure you check them often. They will restrict flow when they catch a lot of pollen.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

They do help. Just check them frequently enough to avoid them getting completely clogged.