Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump to heat spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump to heat spa

I am in the process of getting my backyard oasis built (pool and spa) and need to make a decision on heat source. I live in Texas and only need the heat source to heat my 7x7 spa. I do not have natural gas so it is either propane tank or heat pump. My pool builder said it might take a full day to get the water temp of the spa up to 104 degrees. Is this true? Is it a no brainer to choose the highest btu rating heat pump? Also, my pool builder said a heat pump is a more cost efficient heat source vs. propane to heat my spa. However, after searching threads on this forum for heat pump I am now scared to go with it. I am also a bit skeptical of using the pump in the heat pump to drive my pool circulation (no heat) vs. having a separate pentair whisper flo. For my needs should I simply go with propane and deal with the pain of refilling it every year?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump to heat spa

There is no pump to circulate water in a heat pump, it will require a pump whether it is a pump dedicated to the spa or a shared pool/spa system. A heat pump will work best to maintain a constant temperature. It will require several hours to heat the spa whereas a gas heater will do so in an hour or two depending on how much temperature rise you will need.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump to heat spa

A gas heater is the way to go for heating a spa. Using gas you can have a spa generally heated in around 30 mins given the size of spa and heater.

Keep in mind that a heat pump works off of the ambient temperature outside. Yes they are great for maintaining water temp but in order to get a quick heat up time, gas is the way to go.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.