Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Snow So deep on my pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Snow So deep on my pool cover

Here in NJ we got lots of snow and Ice thanx to Canada , well my pool as weel as the LOC LOOP Cover is burried under 3 Foot of snow and ICE today it started to Thaw and we got some rain next 2 days suppose to get to 50+ F and Rain has anyone has any experince with so much weight on this type of cover pool size is about 43x16 irregular , just wondering if it can handle the wight of all the water and ice my pump is burried under all the snow and ice any suggestion is appriciated
    19000 Gal. Fiberglass Inground 44x18 irregular shape pool
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    Aquacheck and TF100 tester
    NJ USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Snow So deep on my pool cover

The Loop Loc covers can handle a good snow and ice load. Plus it may stretch to where it is being supported by the water.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

"Thanx to Canada" hilarious ....and I can say that because I am Canadian right?

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm hoping for the best. I have 4 to 6 ft drifts on my cover. While I think it can hold the weight, I'm wondering if it will return to its original shape.

20 x 40 28k gallon Salt Water Vinyl IGP, Hayward pump and Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ay as u say this weather belongs in Hudson bay and North of it not 1000 miles down here its been a deep freezehere for 2 months now have some FF and vinigar for me ay

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx i assume u have lot of snow out in Pa , i am just worried about the up coming Rain on Friday
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    NJ USA

6. Back To Top    #6

Yea we have a lot of snow here too. We will be getting the same rain here also. It's been a long cold winter. 😕
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Nothing to worry about as long as your pool water level is correct. For our Merlin cover the water level is to be no lower than 18" below the decking surface. The cover is sized to allow that much spring expansion and fabric stretching. If your water level at the onset of the snow load was lower than recommended then there could potentially be an issue. I'd say though that whatever distance they give as minimum for water to decking would have some wiggle room before damage would occur.

It is a good idea to check your water level, when possible, during the winter. In general it rises because of precip. (if you have a mesh cover or one with a drainage panel) and you should measure where it was at closing. However, should you have, or develop, a leak, the water level could be lower than expected and expose your cover to potential damage.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanx Bmore the jets are about 18 inches below the deck i vac them pour anti freeze in there and plug em before i close the pool but the amount of Snow this year is just stagerring not only snow its layers of ice and snow so today i went in and add maybe about 800 gallons of water was not easy as i had to fight my way to get the hose under the cover which was streached to the kilt not to mentinf 3 Foot of snow and ice hope on friday my pump can come alive and pump out the slush
    NJ USA

9. Back To Top    #9

I added some water to bring up the Loc Loop prior to rain last friday , today i went to see if i can break the ice and get the pool cover pump going , no can do there is $ inches of ice under the slush , question is what is preventing the water in the pool from freezing and damaging everything? i am concern about the skimmer and the pipes , i did put in 5 gallons of anti freeze in the pipes but still ???? any thoughts ??
    NJ USA