Need help deciding on pump, not sure if I'm overthinking the decision

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
Pump died, I had the Purex Triton Whisperflo (1.5hp). Have a manual timer switch. Nothing fancy with system - 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, no fountains or spas - but I do have a booster pump for my Polaris 380. I have a DE filter 48 sq ft grids, 2" pipes. The original pump was on a 20amp circuit (how do I find out about the volt?).

From what I can read a variable pump will serve me well, the lower speed will work for me.

I'm trying to decide between the
Hayward - Max Flo SP2300 - 17 great reviews on Amazon (usually a trustworthy site)
Pentair - Super Flo VS or Super Max VS (neither get great reviews on Amazon)

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, in fact the easier to use the better. I just need to decide and need some help. :)

Thanks!
Anne

According to this page (confirming my hunch), http://www.poolspahelp.com/purex_triton_pool_pumps.htm#WhisperFlo , your 1.5 HP WhisperFlow is a 230V model. If the motor faceplate is still legible, it will list the voltage there. If you will have the new pump professionally installed, the installer will be able to determine the current pump's voltage and make sure that the new one is properly wired. If you plan on doing this yourself, I would definitely consult an electrician to determine the voltage if there is even a shadow of a doubt.

For most people, a 2-speed pump/motor combination is the best choice from a cost-benefit and simplicity standpoint vs. a variable-speed pump. Noticed you are in CA where electric rates tend to be high and that is a major determinant of which pump you should choose. If your rates are over $0.20 per kWh, then go with a variable-speed model. Otherwise, I would go with the 2-speed. If your rates are close to the $0.20 / kWh threshold, then I would look at the trend in your rates over the past few years. If they have increased steadily, then I would probably spring for the variable-speed to give you some insurance against higher rates in the future.

The advantages of a 2-speed is that it is a simpler design (little or no electronic controls) and it is considerably less expensive than a variable-speed. Since you have no fountains or spas, you don't need the flexibility of having several speed options. So, it all comes down to electric rates in your case.

I'm not sure how to figure out my costs. I have 4 tiers (I tried to add here but it says I've exceeded my attachment allotment and I can't figure out how to delete old attachments).

Tier 1 13 cents
Tier 2 16 cents
Tier 3 28 cents
Tier 4 31 cents

I may have mentioned in summer it's higher. I am always in tier 4. To figure out the numbers you are talking about, I assume I could take all 4 and average them? Either way, I think all pumps I mentioned were variable speed? I looked at my current pump and it IS 230V. I guess I'm wondering if Horsepower should have any factor in my decision. The pool is about 24000 gal, in ground. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.