Pool Light Help

branchop

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
North Carolina
Hi All!

My pool light will come on for a short period on time and then turn off. Throughout an evening it may do this several times. And then it gets to a point where it will not turn on at all. It had not turned on in such a long time, we were going to replace the bulb. However, my husband reset the breaker last night and voila - pool light. It was on for less than a minute. DH seems to think it has something to do with it getting too hot and needing to cool off. That seems plausible enough. we both agreed to ask you for help!

Any suggestions?

Branden

Something not good is going on here if the breaker keeps tripping. It shouldn't be overheating because they should be designed to stay on under normal operating conditions. If it intermittently comes on and goes off without tripping the breaker or it occasionally does trip the breaker then there must be a short in there somewhere or perhaps a loose connection. You should have it checked ASAP and keep it off until then.

Oh I apologize for misleading you - The breaker was tripped for a deep fryer (or two) :oops:

We use the outlet a lot with no issues. To my recollection the pool light has never tripped the breaker.

Hopefully this weekend we will pull the bad boy out and see what is going on.

I'm curious - what kind of light is it ? Your description of the problem sounds like a ballast overheating and resetting, which means there is a short in the wiring, ballast, or bulb. I would call an electrician if you don't see an obvious problem when you pull it out. I would also disconnect it from the power supply while anyone is in or around the pool until you find out what's going on. Getting shocked puts me in a real bad mood. :evil:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.