Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 80% of water changed- LOW CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

80% of water changed- LOW CYA

I changed out 80% of my water because of high CH and CYA. Now, there's no CYA in my pool. So, I went to the pool store to pick up some "stabilizer". I picked up a 1.5 pounder because I wanted to see how my pool was going to react to just that much. I think I will probably end up needing more, but then I remembered that the original owner of the house had some chlorine tablets leftover for me. Lo and behold, they're tri-chlor tablets which after doing some research I understand that it raises CYA. SOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo.... Would it be ok to use the 25 tablets that are leftover to slowly raise my CYA the rest of the way, or should I do it immediately with more stabilizer? Paying $11 for 1.5lbs of the dry stuff isn't on my sounds like much fun list at the moment.
    @9,000 square feet
    IG Plaster pool approx 2-3 years old
    Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-3HP-Variable-Speed-Ultra-Energy-Efficient-Pool-Pump 011018
    Pentair-Sta-Rite-S7M400-SM-Series-Cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

80% of water changed- LOW CYA

It's fine to use the tabs to get to the CYA level you want. Just make sure to stop when you get to that level. You won't need all of them. Make sure you don't put them in the skimmer basket. Put them in a floater or chlorinator.

Pool math at the bottom, effects of adding chem's will tell you how much each tab will increase CYA. Just enter the weight of the tab.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 80% of water changed- LOW CYA

Yes, you can. As stated above, use Effects of Adding Chemicals in http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html so you don't overdo things. You'll need to know the pool volume. Also be aware that pucks are acidic. And note you may not have zero CYA; you just have less than 30. So perhaps aim low for your target or enter 20 as your Now reading.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

And if you plan on going on vacation this summer, if your CYA is low enough you can put some in then. TFP is about knowing your pool and what it needs, not about only using a certain method to maintain it.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

5. Back To Top    #5

After 1.5lbs of dry stabilizer, and threw in 5 trichlor pucks, my cya has come up, but I can still just BARELY see the dot with the entire vial full (Taylor Test kit). Gonna keep an eye on it next week as I continue with the trichlor tabs.
    @9,000 square feet
    IG Plaster pool approx 2-3 years old
    Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-3HP-Variable-Speed-Ultra-Energy-Efficient-Pool-Pump 011018
    Pentair-Sta-Rite-S7M400-SM-Series-Cartridge

6. Back To Top    #6

The dry CYA can sometimes take up to a week to show up on the test, so be careful you do not overshoot.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!