Solar Versus Gas with varying rates. Anyone have a spreadsheet?

Jun 30, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Does anyone have a spreadsheet already created for comparing daytime solar heating to nighttime gas heating? I have a gas heater and an existing solar system. However, my new EV has shot my daytime power rates up to $0.47/kWh in Tier 2. I'd like to try to compare gas heating at night with $0.10/kWh electric rates + cost of gas to solar. Any tips on doing that?

Unless you have a wildly inefficient pump, solar will use less $ to heat the pool than gas by a wide margin.

If you haven't already, the first thing to do is get a solar cover for the pool and keep it on as much as possible.

Unless you have a wildly inefficient pump, solar will use less $ to heat the pool than gas by a wide margin.

If you haven't already, the first thing to do is get a solar cover for the pool and keep it on as much as possible.
I don't have a wildly inefficient pump. (It's an Intelliflo VF) :)

I've thought about a solar cover, but I really enjoy the convenience of being able to jump right into the pool when I get home, without the hassle of removing the cover. Adding a cover would significantly impact my enjoyment of the pool.

Can you quantify the amount of heat a solar cover will retain?

Since you already have solar installed, another option would be to install a PV (electric) solar panel and DC powered circulation pump to pump water through the solar heating panels.

Ike
p.s perhaps something like this: http://www.lorentz.de/en/products/solar-pool-pumps.html

Possible, but I'm not sure the ROI on a whole new pump would be sensible. Do you know ballpark pricing for these pumps?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.