Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Determining flow rate and turnover rate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Determining flow rate and turnover rate?

New to the pool thing, attempting to roughly determine my pump flow rate and related turnover rate for the pool to help in determining how long I should run my pump each day. I'm running a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump (1HP) on a 14,000 gallon pool. I found the below chart, but not sure what "Total Dynamic Head in Feet of Water" means?

http://www.poolplaza.com/MaxEGlas-II-techspecs.shtml
    Built 2003, 14k Gallons, IG Pebbletec, Primary Pump: Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Fiberstars Jazz Light w/Color Wheel, Polaris 280 Vacuum (Runs Zodiac PB4-60 Booster Pump) and 2 Waterfalls (Run on separate, dedicated 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Determining flow rate and turnover rate?

Flow rate and turn over generally do not matter.

There is an article you should read in Pool School in the How To section all about how to determine run time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Determining flow rate and turnover rate?

I don't get a turnover everyday and my water is always good. I run my pump on low for 5 hrs and on high for probably 1 hr.

The philosophy that you need one turnover is for the most part a myth IMO. Most pools are just fine with less than a turnover.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Nearly all pools are good with four hours a day of pump runtime, ideally spread out across the 24 hour period in a couple of clumps. The main exceptions are SWG or solar heating or other accessories that requires longer pump run times.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all, I also read that pool school article which was helpful. Sounds like I'll stick to 4 hours and see how things progress. In regards to spreading out the pump runtime over 24 hours, I'd also like to do that so I can have a couple of options when to add chlorine versus tied to a specific time that the pump will run so I don't have to run it manually when I add the chlorine.

To that end, I have mechanical timers that spin around on gears and get triggered when they hit the little bolt on metal arrows. I noticed there are a few extra bolt on arrows in the box, can I have two sets on the same timer wheel? I assume so since I think those are just dummy triggers that trigger the on/off?
    Built 2003, 14k Gallons, IG Pebbletec, Primary Pump: Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Fiberstars Jazz Light w/Color Wheel, Polaris 280 Vacuum (Runs Zodiac PB4-60 Booster Pump) and 2 Waterfalls (Run on separate, dedicated 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump).

6. Back To Top    #6

Determining flow rate and turnover rate?

Quote Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
    Thanks all, I also read that pool school article which was helpful. Sounds like I'll stick to 4 hours and see how things progress. In regards to spreading out the pump runtime over 24 hours, I'd also like to do that so I can have a couple of options when to add chlorine versus tied to a specific time that the pump will run so I don't have to run it manually when I add the chlorine.

To that end, I have mechanical timers that spin around on gears and get triggered when they hit the little bolt on metal arrows. I noticed there are a few extra bolt on arrows in the box, can I have two sets on the same timer wheel? I assume so since I think those are just dummy triggers that trigger the on/off?

The best time to add liquid chlorine is after the sun is off the pool. That way some of your addition won't get used up by the sun and your set for the next day.

Yes you can add more on / off triggers to the dial.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    The best time to add liquid chlorine is after the sun is off the pool. That way some of your addition won't get used up by the sun and your set for the next day.

Yes you can add more on / off triggers to the dial.
    Makes sense, will do thanks.