Weird TA and pH in Hot Springs Vanguard

bpricedo

Silver Supporter
May 20, 2012
Okay, maybe it's not that weird, but here's the story anyway:

I put new water in the spa in December. We use it frequently but rarely use jets, mostly just soak.
I'm using 8.25% bleach. The spa has an ozonator that runs constantly (in a Hot Springs there is continuous water circulation and filtration and the ozonator is in this circulation plumbing, always bubbles bubbling).

Anyway after fill had pH of 7, CH of 140, TA of 80. I aerated and overshot pH a bit, added a little acid and things were settled in with pH of 7.4, TA of 60. My pH in the two months since crept up to 7.6 and has stayed there but TA has continued to rise. Today my numbers are: TA 120, pH 7.6, CH 140, FC 2.0.
The pool calculator gives me a CSI of 0.14. Water looks great. Is this high TA a concern since my pH appears to be rock stable? I'm serious, I have not adjusted pH in 2 months. Just add bleach daily.

Edit: I'm using a Taylor K2006C

When you did your TA test, did you you wipe the tip of the reagent bottle with a damp cloth to remove any static electricity ? This can skew the test by making the drops smaller if there is static electricity present.

What is the TA of your fill water ? If your PH is stable your TA may have found its happy place. ?

Haven't tested fill water lately. About a year and a half ago it was 80 which makes sense considering that's what the spa water was right after the fill.

Just was making sure there weren't any other issues to worry about as long as my pH was stable. I probably will mess with it this weekend and bring it back down to 80 just because.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.