cannot get sufficient waterflow into spa to maintain the waterfall into poo

hi
just fitted the new filter, primed the pump, switched on to pool mode and the pressure has not changed, its still mid 30's with the polaris on
spa not draining but not creating a strong enough overflow from spa to pool when running in pool mode with the return adjusted to spa slightly to create the overflow

any ideas what would be causing the high pressure.

Higher than your normal pressure can really only be caused by:
- A blockage in the plumbing between the filter and the pool/spa (debris, closed valve, etc)
- A dirty filter
- A bad gauge (assuming the water flow was actually normal)

Just to add to Jason's list, a collapsed underground pipe has been known to cause high pressure as well. But check the valve settings first just to make sure they are not in the wrong position.

When you set the valves to pool mode, do you get a strong flow out of the returns and does the pressure drop?

If the flow is low and pressure is high in BOTH pool and spa modes, then you need to look between the filter and the pool/spa valve for problems.

When you set the valves to pool mode, do you get a strong flow out of the returns and does the pressure drop? thats correct

If the flow is low and pressure is high in BOTH pool and spa modes, then you need to look between the filter and the pool/spa valve for problems. the flow wehn on pool return is very strong the polaris is moving very fast

- A blockage in the plumbing between the filter and the pool/spa (debris, closed valve, etc)
- A dirty filter

filter is brand new, just put in today, gauge seems to do the job, it is showing a change between pressure when on pool return versus spa return

what i noticed is that when moving the return valve from pool to spa to create an overflow (which is how it used to work) there is a large gurgling noise and the flapper on the valve just after the heater closes - could this be backflow of water due to it not being able to return to the spa (indicating their is a blockage in the pipe return to spa)

i am new to this but there are actually 2 pipes that could go the spa is this normal (there are 6 + 2 returns to the spa)?

I can not really discern your plumbing setup with the pictures you provided ... can you post a bigger full view with what you know labelled?

There can be multiple pipes to the spa if one is for normal circulation and filtration and the other is for the spa jets.

- A dirty filter

i have a kind of filter chamber just after the filter and before the heater, i think its for purifying the water, i was going to open it to see if there was any debris casuing a blockage but despite my best efforts i cannot get it open (i turned the pump off first as indicated on the container)

is this common ?

If you are talking about the large black cylinder on top of the valve that splits to two pipes, that is a blower for the spa. That will introduce air into the spa jets to make them pulsate.

But the symptoms you describe above is indicative of a spa plumbing blockage. Since the pool mode works fine, the problem lies with the plumbing after the pool/spa valve.

There is a check valve right after the pool/spa valve. I would disassemble that and make sure all the parts are working properly. I would also disassemble the 3-way valve right after the check valve and make sure a part has not broken off of that.

If that is ok, I would then remove the spa jet nozzles and try to flush out any debris that might be in the lines. The spa nozzles are deep inside the spa wall but can be removed from inside the drained spa with a long socket wrench. After they are removed, you can turn on the spa to push out any debris that might be stuck in the lines.

This is what a nozzle looks like but again, you will only see it after you remove it.

94456.jpg

will i make the problem worse if i was to put a hose onto the return line just before the check valve (to see if the water gets through ok) and then down each pipe for the spa return at the 3 way.
this would confirm where the blockage occurs or where the valves were not working ?

also when i lowered the spa water below the jets i noticed that i now have 1 jet returning water with good force, but the others are still just a trickle, when removing the spa jet nozzles should i start with the one immediately aftr the one that is working well , having removed that one should i then hose water through it to see if that frees anything up

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That indicates to me that some of the jets are blocked. I would remove the nozzles to see if you can flush them out. But you really need to remove all jet nozzles because it might not clear it out otherwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.