Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My stamped concrete is dangerously slick

1. Back To Top    #1

My stamped concrete is dangerously slick

I had a pool built about 2 months ago in the DFW area of Texas. My son and I played on the tanning ledge this past weekend (yes, the water was dang cold) and I discovered that my decking is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen when it gets wet. Can some of you recommend a topical sealer that may help give the stamped concrete some traction when wet? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My stamped concrete is dangerously slick

I've heard this product works pretty good. You can add it to sealer.

http://www.hcconcrete.com/products/s...tant_Additive/
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm guessing the grit or other additives must be added during initial application.

Maybe you can ask your PB to come back and do a top coat with some added texture.

4. Back To Top    #4

Was your stamped concrete sealed when it was installed?
    Build is Done!: 18'x40' diving pool, depth 3'6" x 9', 104' perimeter, ~24k gallons, spa (6 jets), raised wall (3 scuppers), tanning ledge, Pentair IntelliFlo 3050 VS+SVRS, Pentair Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 BTU heater, Polaris QT 1.5 HP blower, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite 5G lights, Pentair EasyTouch 8 with Screenlogic2, 504 sq ft Roman Slate textured deck, Aqua Blue StoneScapes finish

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, with Tiah Commercial sealer. I think it is pretty crappy stuff bc most of it is already coming off. I had a falling out with my builder bc he didn't pay the plaster guy and a lien was threatened to be filed on my house (finally the plaster guy was paid 73 days after he did his work) so asking the builder for advice is out of the question.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the sealer is coming off, you may need to pressure wash it to get the old off. Peeling sealer is a sign of improper prep work.

There is a product called Shark Grip that works well to add traction when you apply sealer. You can get it at Lowe's or Sherwin Williams.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    If the sealer is coming off, you may need to pressure wash it to get the old off. Peeling sealer is a sign of improper prep work.

There is a product called Shark Grip that works well to add traction when you apply sealer. You can get it at Lowe's or Sherwin Williams.
    May also require some solvent-stripper to get back to a good base. With sun exposure, abrasion and moisture, the stamped route is a never ending battle. Tumbled-travertine pavers should have been my choice.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater