Heat pump for 32000 gallon inground in Northern Va

May 14, 2013
Hi Guys.

I need a new heat pump for my pool, but I am only 1 year into pool ownership. We went without last season, but I am thinking it would be a bit nicer for wife and baby to have a little heat especially early in the summer. Any recommendations on brand and btu size for a heat pump for a 32000 gallon rectangular ingrown pool? Any ones to stay away from? Any other things I need to know? Thanks in advance, without this site my gem of a pool would not have been so much fun!

Get the largest heater you can afford and have electricity and space to install. Even so it is likely to be on the small side for a pool that size as heat pumps don't really come all that large. Heating the pool can get wildly expensive if you heat very often. Also, keep in mind that heat pumps are most effective when the air temperature is fairly warm and you are maintaing constant heat 24/7. They work well when run during the day for weeks at a time not too far outside the regular season. To get really significant extensions of the pool season, or to heat for just a weekend, you will want a gas heater.

Bolleat with your automatic cover your idea of a heat pump will work well. Keep in mind that a heat pump will usually safety out when ambient air temps get into the 50-60 degree range. Every unit that I have installed reacts differently to this. Also keep in mind that heat pumps work best to keep and maintain continuous temperatures.

Thank you,

I don't have gas at my house, so a gas heater is out of the question. I am just looking to raise the temp a few degrees actually particularly in may, june when the water is in the low 70s. I actually don't mind swimming in anything over 70, but the wife likes it closer to 77, 78 or so. So I would be happy with just a few degree improvement in the beginning of the season when it is 80 degrees out but the water is only 71. Any brands you guys recommend?

I can strongly endorse Aquacal SQ156 after one season of heavy use in a 25,500 gallon pool. Not sure this precise model is adequate for your size pool and location but I will tell you that our target temp was *ahem* much higher than the 78 degrees you are looking to achieve.:roll: It is very quiet and was able to raise and keep the temp where we wanted it through November when temps are sometimes only in the 50's in the daytime (I am in North Texas) and I was pleasantly surprised at how efficient it was in terms of my being very happy with my electric bills in the fall.

The unit itself is HUGE so you'll need space for the unit and plenty of room for the substantial airflow. You can find calculators for sizing and cost estimators on various websites. The unit does need to run almost continuously to keep the temp up, and as other posters have said and you probably already know, a heat pump won't make big changes in temp over short periods of time.

We have gas service and chose the heat pump because we knew we would operate on a very extended season and the energy efficiency at 10 cents per kwh worked out to be a no-brainer for us compared to extensive use of the gas furnace over many months in spring and fall.

We plan to fire it up again in 2 weeks to support Spring Break here at home since our last freeze is average date of March 5 and the days are already getting warm enough to enable efficient use of the heat pump (highs in the 70's all week for example)

Hope this all helps.

The cost of the unit was more than a gas furnace and we needed an 80 amp circuit to run the pumps and heat pump which took an underground installation of some effort but was done as part of new pool construction so it blended right into the overall construction cost.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.