Glass beads seeded in Stonescapes Mini Pebble?

Angnjam

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2013
Southern California
We are installing Stonescapes mini pebble and we can get some glass beads seeded in at no cost if we'd like. We are putting in Tropics Blue. Does anyone have any experience with glass beads or pictures that you could share? I'd love any input regarding whether we should do this or not. Also, we are have installed the "In Your Face Shark" mosaic and I was wondering if anyone has this or other mosaics in their pool with the Tropics Blue or even Midnight Blue, which we haven't ruled out, pebble (mini or regular)? I'd like to know if we will be able to see the mosaic well enough with either of those colors. Any pictures, advice or help you could give me would be much appreciated. We install the pebble on Friday, so we need to make a decision very soon. Thanks.
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_3123.jpg
IMG_3082.jpg

Thanks E9A. It looks like a super cool pool. But it didn't look like you could see the shark very well under the water, but there weren't many pictures showing it, so I could be wrong. Hmmm, what to do!?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone want to comment on if they have had glass beads seeded on the top of their pebble or not? Just hoping that I can figure out if they will stay put or come lose over the years. Please let me hear your experience or advice. Thanks!

I know WetEdge has a line called Prism matrix where glass beads are mixed into the pebble aggregate. Maybe your PB is talking about this? The only other glass bead product that I know about is jewelscape which all glass bead. We are having this installed in our spa only. I don't know of many people that have done this because of cost so we will be the first in our area. I know of one other pool in AZ that has their whole pool done with Jewelscape.

Actually, what they did yesterday was throw glass beads and abalone shell into the pebble surface after it was applied as it was still soft, then troweled it into the finish so it became part of the whole mix, but didn't get lost in the bottom of the application where it can't be seen. That way, you don't lose cost to glass beads and abalone that you can't even see. You cannot tell a difference between the ones thrown in and the rest of the mix. I think it looks really good and I love it. I hope it holds up but my certified Stonescapes applicator says it will be just as if it were mixed in from the start. He did the same thing on his pool and it is 5 years old and no problems so far for him. We got it acid washed today and it is currently filling with water!!! Yeah! My kids are dying to get into the pool already. It's actually the same beads that NPT uses for their Jewelscapes line as well. Stonescapes and Jewelscapes are both from NPT. IMG_3206.jpg I'm having problems loading the close up pictures but I'll keep trying.

Angnjam, thanks for sharing. Your shark mosaic looks great! We ran into a bit of a hiccup on our pool surface plaster. We originally planned for WetEdge prism matrix in the pool and then Jewelscapes in the spa.

After speaking with my certified Wet Edge applicator. He presented a new option to us that he's tried out on a couple of pools in our area. It's basically a custom blend that he is doing, it is a mix of the Satin Matrix pebble and the Pearl Matrix pebble, and then also seeding glass beads on top along with abalone shell. The ratio of glass is less than what is the Prism matrix but like you said you don't loose the glass sparkle in the mix. And more cost effective. In the deep end it will be interesting to see how much of the glass sparkles through the water. So it sounds like its similar to what they did on your pool but a different product. I'd really like to see what your pool looks like once it's filled with water.

Also for the spa we are not going with Jewelscape. Our WE applicator is also making a custom glass bead blend for us for the spa with both clear and iridescent glass. I saw it in person and it looks beautiful. I couldn't compromise on the glass in the spa and really wanted it for our modern clean design for our pool. He's done this for many spas already so ours wont be the first.

The custom blend hasn't been done to many pools yet, but this applicator has a good reputation and quality work so I have faith in their abilities. And from what I have read the longevity of the pebble product is dependent on how well it is applied.

Pool is looking good so far. Yard space is a premium in So Cal and even though I am in TX my yard space looks like yours . We will have a nice big pool and decking but little yard left...still have my garden though :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for sharing angandjam, pool came out great and love your glass tiled wall :). Does the finish feel pretty smooth? Have you had any issues with glass fragments from the glass beads not being applied properly?

RobbieH do you happen to have a pic of your pool finish that you can share? Also have you had any issues with glass bead falling out or glass shards sticking out after application?

We are tentatively scheduled for our pool finish next week as long as it doesn't rain and hope I made the right choice by going with the glass beads. I know some people are anti-glass for pool finishes because of possible cracking and chipping. But I think with the warm weather in Houston it shouldn't pose a problem.

Here is a picture of the samples.

Samples_zps7a729595.jpg

Here is a picture of the surface. Granted, in this picture it is difficult to tell there is glass and abalone in the finish. Look closely enough and you will see some of the blue is glass, and you can see the sparkle of the abalone in the lower side of the picture. My water was still cloudy in this picture since this was the day after the refill.

13_zps23b80f75.jpg

I haven't had any issues, but the finish is only a few months old. I searched a lot of reviews for this finish before I had it installed, and heard no complaints. The people that put it in also said it was extremely durable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.