Spa wall has crack at waterline (w/pics)

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
Hi,
Im new to this forum. I have been a member or another pool forum and have browsed this one for some time now. I kept seeing more activity in this one so I decided to join.

I have a tile that came off the spa wall right at the waterline during a small freeze (its an gunite inground pool w/spa). I saw many other tiles so I removed them and followed the crack. It ended in the spa spillover that overflows into the pool.

I plan on sealing or bonding the crack, then using bathroom waterproof thinset to place the tiles and then sealing with grout.

What could I use to seal/bond the crack?
What kind of grout will waterproof seal the crack between two tiles?

20140218_063550.jpg20140218_063602.jpg20140218_063613.jpg20140218_063623.jpg20140218_063634.jpg

Last edited:
bump... I have really searched for an answer but have only come up with white silicon and Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop Cement. Both of which only had one post each suggesting the use of them. I have not seen many threads on what to apply.

Sorry no one has responded yet! I'll throw my amateur thoughts out there ... we have a small crack in our pool but it's currently mid-remodel and PB hasn't addressed it yet. I don't know if it's a shell crack or more minor than that - it passed the dye test I tried on it last summer so am hoping it's surface only. I believe they plan to use some kind of epoxy on it before plastering, but this is below the tile line within the body of the pool, not in the waterline.

I did have tiles that fell off the pool all the time and the local family pool store recommended Perma Pool Patch. I just went out and looked at the bucket and it says it stops water leaks, too. You might try it, it was pretty easy to use for a DIYer. I mixed it in a plastic solo cup with a plastic spoon and could only mix enough for a few tiles at a time before it set up too much to use. Keep that in mind as you work if you decide to attempt. Good luck!
http://www.cgmbuildingproducts.com/pd2_d.htm

Thanks for replying MiaOK,
I have decided to use Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop Cement. Someone used this on a crack that was repaired by the previous home owner with white silicon and has not had a problem for a few years.

I bought the ez patch thinset for $20(I havent used it and I still have the receipt). Is there a better thinset that i can buy that is waterproof?

What can use for grouting the tile around the 4 edges?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.