Replacing Hayward 2600X5-98 (I think)

Jul 14, 2009
So,
My pool pump at the house I bought several years ago has finally decided to go to that great burned out bearing in the sky. I am looking to replace it and am wondering
A) Is this the model 2600X5-98? In the packet that we got when we bought the house, there is a user manual with that number at the top, but on the bill of sale it simply says a 1 HP Hayward pump. I cannot seem to see it anywhere on the pump so I attached a picture of the pump. I know it is a Hayward Super Pump.
B) Is there any benefit for my looking at a different pump vs. a straight swap? I have noticed our pump is loud, but that could have been a symptom of its dying.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Here are the logistics.
Live in Birmingham, AL, pool open all year
20k gal Saltwater Pool
24" Sand Filter
Separate Gas Heater
Separate Booster Pump for polaris
2 main inlet lines, 2 main outlet (incl 1 waterfall)

Attachments

• Hayward Pump Label.jpg
    Hayward Pump Label.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 36
I think that the number 2600X5-98 identifies the SuperPump manual with the "98" identifying the year 1998 that the manual was written.

I think that you probably have a SP-2607X10 Hayward SuperPump. It's a 3/4 H.P Full rated pump, which is the same as a 1 H.P Max Rated pump. Some pumps are labeled with the Full rated H.P and some pumps are labeled with the Max Rated H.P. The SuperPump is usually labeled with the max rated H.P.

The 07X10 part of the model number means that the pump can be labeled as 0.7 H.P to 1.0 H.P.

The Hayward Super Pump 1 HP 2 Speed Pool Pump SP2607X102S might be a good replacement choice.

Note that the two-speed is 240 volts. Therefore, if you are currently wired for 120 volts, that would have to be addressed.

If you wanted a single speed, then I think that you could go down to a SP2600X5 or a SP2605X7.

What gas heater do you have?

What voltage is your current pump wired for?

Thanks for the response. It is indeed the original super pump. Of that I am sure. It is also wired for 240.

Would the SP2607X102S replacement be any quieter than the original?

The heater is a RAYPAK RP2100.

Why not just replace the motor and shaft seal. You can get a motor pretty for a couple hundred dollars and not have to mess with the plumbing.

I thought about that but the exterior of the motor housing is in pretty bad shape as well. There is some pretty significant rust as you can tell by the pictures. The mounting brackets are rusted through and I have been fighting leaking problems with the strainer seal as well. New gaskets and cover haven't helped. Seemed like it might just be a good time to spend the extra $200 or so.

I could be completely wrong in my thinking here as well though.

I think that you probably have a SP-2607X10 Hayward SuperPump. It's a 3/4 H.P Full rated pump, which is the same as a 1 H.P Max Rated pump.
Actually, that is a 1 HP up rated motor (which is the same as a 3/4 HP full rated) but the Superpump line doesn't come in full rated versions.

Also, sometimes that motor was put on the smaller pump heads as a replacement because the smaller motors are not always easy to find. So I would check the impeller part # on that pump before concluding that is the actual pump that you have.

The other thing that I am really considering is trying to get a quieter pump. I looked on consumer reports and they don't have pump reviews. Does anyone know of a good site that might detail or review pump loudness?

One of the reasons pumps become loud is because of bearing failure. Otherwise, there really is not much difference in pump noise for similar sized pumps. Another factor is flow rate. The higher the flow rate (i.e. bigger pumps), the more noise they will produce. Keep the flow rate low, and there is very little noise. Most two speed pumps on low speed are very quite.

Actually, that is a 1 HP up rated motor (which is the same as a 3/4 HP full rated) but the Superpump line doesn't come in full rated versions.
You are correct, I wrote that backwards. Thanks for catching that.

I did note that the SuperPump is usually a max-rated pump, which is the same thing as an up-rated pump. Hayward uses the term max-rated.

Also, note that there is a full-rated SuperPump, the SP2607EE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.