Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: suggestions: buying a test kit.....

1. Back To Top    #1

suggestions: buying a test kit.....

Hey...

I am buying my first test kit. I read the differences between the 100 and the 2006. I think it will be testing alot this first "whole" year. So I am apt to get the 2006. But, I am residential. So..... what do you think?
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

18x38 25K gallon vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair EZ Touch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: suggestions: buying a test kit.....

The TF-100, while slightly more expensive contains more reagents to complete more tests. The "Test Kits Compared" article in Pool School breaks down each kit more to explain what's included in each kit.

Dollar for Dollar the TF-100 is a better buy the majority of the time.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Lee ... I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that the K-2006 would allow you to test more than the TF-100? This is one reason we recommend the TF-100 as it has more of the reagents you actually need. And if you want more you can get the XL option to add more of the FAS-DPD testing as needed when SLAMing a pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much...I guess I must have misread the info in the Pool School.....

I cannot find any info regarding testing the salt level. Can you please direct me to what your recommendations are for performing that test?
    Thanks a bunch....!!
    Mark

18x38 25K gallon vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair EZ Touch control system

5. Back To Top    #5

For salt, you can get test strips (http://tftestkits.net/Salt-Test-Stri...-Chek-p28.html) or a Taylor silver nitrate drop based test (http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html). I prefer the drops as they are more consistent and easier to read.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

No question if you want more reagent, get the TF100.

Congratulations on taking one of the most important steps.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mrwerk View Post
    Thanks so much...I guess I must have misread the info in the Pool School.....
    You may have noticed fewer CH tests with the TF-100 compared to the K-2006 or you may have been comparing the TF-100 against the K-2006C where the latter has more TA and CH tests, but TA and CH do not change quickly so you don't need as many of those tests. You use the pH and FC tests the most and initially until you get your CYA where you want it you use that test as well.

The Pool School article should probably say that you don't test the TA nor CH as frequently since those parameters do not change very quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"