may have a problem

I think I may have a problem with my equipment. This weekend I noticed that the pressure in my filter was a lot less than normal, about 50-60% of normal. The pump seemed much louder and there seemed to be lot of bubbles visible through the window on the pump. I tested the suction from the pool through the hose and that was as normal.

Anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks

Only ways for the pressure in the filter to drop (assuming the gauge is good) would be a blockage between the pool and the pump or between the pump and the filter or the impeller being clogged.

Or a big air leak between the pool and the pump ... although I think it would have to be a LOT of bubbles for the pressure to drop much.

OK I've spent a bit more time observing this. I have a motorized valve controlling the flow through my roof top solar. When the valve is open and water is pumped to the roof and returned, the system works fine. But when the valve is closed, on a cloudy day for example, there is water leaking and dropping off the bottom of this valve, the pressure in the filter just about halves and the pump gets loud (I think because it's pumping air). So I guess the leaking valve or one of the joints by the valve is letting in air.

Additional to this is that, after the pump is shut down, air is bubbling through the pipes, up into the roof panels and every 20 minutes or so we get a waterfall through the vertical pipes from roof to ground level,

Sounds like you have a suction side air leak.

The additional head created by the solar running is reducing the suction head and therefore reducing the size of the leak. Find that leak and you'll most likely find your problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.