New to Trouble Free Pool

Feb 17, 2014
United States
I'm a recent convert to this method from chlorine tablet ****. I've had a pool for 4 years and have had more and more trouble keeping the algae away using chlorine tabs and granular shock. This winter I discovered Trouble Free Pool and decided to give it a shot. I ordered a Taylor K-2006 test kit, just in time too - temps around here just shot into the 80s and the pool started turning green. I suspected my problem has been an elevating CYA considering I've always used tabs; I was right, CYA over 100. This weekend I rented a submersible pump and dumped out about 2/3 of the pool, refilled and retested. While refilling I added 2 gallons of 10% bleach to deal with the algae starting to take hold. Here are my measurements:

FC 0
CC Not tested
pH 7.6
TA 150
CH 270
CYA 40

I succeeded in getting the CYA down, but it's curious that even after 2 gallons of 10% bleach FC would not register, I sanity checked with a test strip - sure enough, no chlorine. Using the pool math on a 12,000 gallon pool the calculator called for 2 more gallons of 10% bleach to get to my shock target of 16. It seems my TA level is also high, any tips there? I'm running the filter now with the added bleach and will retest tomorrow and update this post. If I'm headed down the right path let me know - or feel free to give me any tips you might have! Especially from my fellow Phoenicians. Thanks!

Welcome to the TFPC method!!

It sounds like you are on the right track. If you have an algae bloom, it is very likely that the moment you pour chlorine into the pool, it does it's job and is used up. You'll have to complete the SLAM process, so dose then test, and keep doing it until you get a read on the chlorine.

Don't worry about TA for now. It's the least important parameter, and it can be taken care of later. Let's kill the algae first.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Ignore the TA, that is about the least important parameter to worry about.

I think you may need to review the SLAM Process. It is not a one or two time bleach addition. If you have algae, you need to be testing and adding more bleach every hour or so when starting (and test the CC every time as well). You should also immediately order more FAS-DPD reagents as you are going to run out quickly since you have to SLAM ... this is one reason we prefer the TF-100 over the K-2006.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Ignore the TA, that is about the least important parameter to worry about.

I think you may need to review the SLAM Process. It is not a one or two time bleach addition. If you have algae, you need to be testing and adding more bleach every hour or so when starting (and test the CC every time as well). You should also immediately order more FAS-DPD reagents as you are going to run out quickly since you have to SLAM ... this is one reason we prefer the TF-100 over the K-2006.

Thanks for the tips. I'm ordering refills now on tftestkits.net for my kit as you recommended. I'm now also in the middle of SLAMing the pool. After getting home from work I measured FC 3.2ppm. I added 1.5 gallons more 10% bleach and now after dinner am at 14.5ppm so I will add more to get it over 16. My CC is about 0.4ppm.

I believe I've completed the SLAM process. The water is crystal clear, I passed the over-night free chlorine test, my CC is 0. I suppose at this point I can give my pump a well deserved rest and also allow the FC to come down to 5ppm with my CYA at 40 and hold. Should I wait until my FC level is back to normal to re-test the rest of pH, CH, TA, etc.?

Here's where I'm at now:

FC 5.8
CC 0.2
pH 7.6
TA 150
CH 310
CYA 40

It seems as though I'm in good shape. Any thoughts?

BTW, I was ready to fill in my pool and be done with it, but this method has made me do a complete 180--looking forward to the swimming season!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.