New to pool filters...

A1exia

Feb 17, 2014
Georgia
I bought my house last year and I'm completely lost about what we're doing. So we removed the cover and tried to turn on the filter. When we turn it on backwash and rinse we can see the water come out of the waste pipe. However if we turn it to filter, how can we tell if it's actually working. We don't see any ripples nothing in the pool. There is an air pressure gauge at the top of the filter (Hayward S200) but it's not changing. There are two valves, one has the option for "off" and "in" the other "off" and "inlet". There are two spigot type valves on the pump also, but these appear to be the return valves to the pool. There's a drain at the bottom of the pool to which we assume is used to drain the pool. How can we tell if it's working? Shouldn't we be seeing water going through the filter (clear dome)?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think we are going to need to see pictures of your equipment and plumbing.
The fact that you get water out of the waste pipe seem to indicate that your suction lines are open. When on filter or recirculate, the water should return to the pool.

What does the gauge show? Is it zero when the pump is off? If not, you may need a new gauge.

I am not sure what the "clear dome" on the filter is you are referring too. If it is a sight glass, they are often just to see the water color while backwashing.

I. That's the clear dome. It's the pump I now assume.
II. That's the valve that reads "inlet".
III. That's the valve that reads "in".
IV. That is where the water spewed out last night after I turned the pump off.

Since then, I've figured out that the position that the levers are in now are what they need to be to run the "filtration" setting. I am heading to the pool supply store to buy Clarifier to address the ash. Any tips and guidance will surely be appreciated.

Attachments

• Pool Pump.jpg
    Pool Pump.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 48
We do not generally recommend the use of any clarifiers or flocs.

Both of those valves on on the suction side of the pump. The way you currently have the valves has all 3 lines open as much as possible (this may not be the best combination depending on what all 3 lines are for).

The 2 brass valves are on your return lines.

After the pump is primed, you should not really be able to see any movement in the water in the pump basket (clear dome). Ideally you can not even tell there is water in it because there is no air at all.

Water should not squirt out of the valve when the pump shuts off. If water can come out, then air can be sucked in likely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.