Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cover Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cover Question

Spring is coming and my pool temp is finally on the rise again..

Over the winter I bought a solar cover just to keep all the junk out of the pool while it was not in use...and only running the filter at night.

But watching the temp come up it got me to thinking If I were to run a slow circulation during the day I might be able to warm the pool quicker due to mixing.

I'm thinking just enough to pull some of the water that's down at the bottom (I'm using a bottom creeper) and give it a chance to warm up at the top of the pool at the solar cover

Good Idea.. or not

THX
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cover Question

Running the pump would have a very minor impact on the pool temperature on the whole. The sun is still giving the pool the same amount of energy ... you would just be mixing the water to be a uniform temp instead of high right by the blanket.

Actually, if you have low to no wind and not very low humidity, you get more heating from the sun without a cover on at all. The cover really is just preventing heat loss to evaporation and radiation (when the air is cool).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Kinda makes sense... So the cover is only really effective overnight
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Or if there is wind or low humidity like in AZ or if the water is warmer than the air.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!