CH reduction

Swordfish

Bronze Supporter
Aug 21, 2013
Brighton, MI
I have a feeling the CH of my tap water is high. If this is true, whats the best method to reduce CH in the pool? This is just for my curiosity, since I cant test my tap water yet. But it got me thinking....

Actually, I see alot of reference material here for what pool levels should be, and some methods of creating the change. But I dont see alot of detail on how to implement those methods. Maybe someone can point to a guide I may have missed? Here is an example... one of the ways mentioned to lower PH is aeration. Without water features and having a pool party, what are some other ways to accomplish this?
Or when it says to add muratic acid... there really is no detail as far as to how to safely add the acid, store it, dispose of it.

I tend to get into the weeds on alot of tasks... so if there isnt something like this, I will start documenting as I go through it this spring to try and create an all inclusive guide that will contain more of the minor details. For us noobs, it may be helpful.

There's Reverse Osmosis but that is expensive, other wise its manage with what you get.
What's your fill water like?
What's your current pool measurement?

You lower PH by adding acid, then raise PH by aeration. That's how you lower TA, not CH.

CH is one of those measurements, you add if needed. Otherwise deal with what you have. (In my case I had to add CH to maintain a proper CSI not too negative. I've got a SWCG and needed to lower my TA. I ended up having too low a CSI and need to add CH to bring it into manageable numbers, but overshot where I wanted to be.)

From Pool School.
Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

My CH is currently 400, and I don't have a problem managing a slightly negative CSI.

Interesting... I went through pool school back in August and I had it in my head that it was more vague than it is. I guess I should have reviewed before posting. Thanks for redirecting back there!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks but my question was answered. I just wondered how one would lower ch if the tap water had high ch.

I'm just fantasizing about spring when the 6 ft snow drift finally melts off my cover and I can get started. I'll have measurements to go by then.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you have a vinyl liner pool there's a good chance you'll have no need to lower the calcium (CH) in your pool. There is a TON of "forgiveness" in vinyl pools in the CH levels. In some areas you could use Reverse Osmosis, but it's very rare. There's a very good chance that you'll be able to keep your pH levels in check enough to find that you are able to operate with VERY high calcium levels and have few worries.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.