Converting Booster Cleaner outake to suction intake

magicalyak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
There used to be a Polaris (I think) in my inground pool. The booster pump was dead and has been removed and the Polaris was never seen by me. I've capped it off but I am thinking of a pool cleaner now. To buy a new booster and cleaner is a bit out of my price range, but I was going to look at getting a kreepy krawley suction type cleaner. I'd love to use the port as a dedicated suction port.

Can I just pipe it into the other intakes? Does it make sense to do this?

Currently there is a diverter valve (I think) that has two intakes (one is the drain, the other is the combined skimmers (2 of them must tee together underground)). If I add this third suction port, should I remove the divertor and just use three ball valves before combining them? Would that work and is that the way to do it?

I can post pics or draw a picture if needed.

A couple thoughts. Booster pump cleaners run on high pressure low flow rates of water. As such, they often are plumbed using smaller pipes (even only 1"). This smaller pipe may not work very well for a suction application where higher flow rates are required.

So, the first question to answer is what is the size of that PVC run?

If larger enough (or if you want to try it anyway), you could add another 2-way diverter to one side of your existing suction lines and just have to move 2 valves to select the cleaner. If the pipe is on the smaller side, you may be able to use some of the newer suction cleaners that require lower flow rates, like The Pool Cleaner. You will want to use a leaf canister in the hose to prevent the pipes from clogging up.

1 1/2 pump side, I need to check under the cover for the outlet size but I bet it's plumbed 1 1/2 to the sidewall. I'm assuming that's the minimum for the suction.

So I'm not sure the diverter would do it.... (attempt at old school ANSI diagram coming up)

Skimmer_low_end -------------------------------------------------------------\
\
Return_low_end ------------------------------------| \
| \
Vacuum_outlet ---------------------------CAPPED |-----------------RETURN \
| \
Return_deep_end -----------------------------------| \ this junction to the left is likely underground..
/------\
Skimmer_deep_end ------------------------------------------------------------------/ DIVERTOR (2-way) INTAKE
/
Drain ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Pool PVC.jpg

So I could do another diverter with the drain but I'm just not feeling strongly on that. The diverter already is a pain (has the little twist in the middle that loosens the handle and is always stuck).
My thought would be using ball valves and joining them using a cross

The pool valves (like the Jandy Neverlube) are the best valves to use for the pool, especially for valves that will be turned often. The PVC ball valve end up getting harder and harder to turn until the handle snaps off, so I can not recommend that.

1.5" PVC would work fine for a vacuum ... that is actually all I originally had for my entire pool.

Post up a picture of your equipment pad plumbing and we may be able to suggest a way to do it.

If your pool valve is not turning, it may need new seals. Or is it grey with a black knob on the side? That black knob is where you are supposed to put grease. Maybe pull it apart and grease it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.