Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning out pool after storm

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning out pool after storm

Hello,

My area was hit by a significant ice storm last week. We had lots of tree limbs fall in the yard and the bottom of the pool is pretty much covered with pine needles. It's way too much for the Polaris to pick up and I'm wondering about the best way to get it cleaned up.

Thanks for any tips.
    IG gunite pool / 30,000 gal / 20'x 40'/ built mid 70's
    1.0 HP Hayward Super pump / Polaris PB4-60 booster pump
    Pentair SD-80 sand filter
    Intermatic mechanical timer (PF12222TB)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning out pool after storm

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you need a leaf rake, a pole, and some muscle power.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a lot of trees in my yard and have to deal with lot debris after every storm. I have a weighted vacuum head that I attach to my pool pole and a hose, one end attached to the top of the vacuum and the other end attaches to one of the skimmers. I use this to vacuum the pool just like you would a normal floor but much slower. I also have my filter valve set to waste if the rain added enough water. Since I have to do this a lot I also added an inline leaf canister which helps greatly, however if this is a rare thing for you it may not be worth the investment.

Here is a link to the weighted vacuum head and one for the leaf canister.

http://www.amazon.com/8165-Weighted-...ol+vacuum+head

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R21108...+leaf+canister
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

Leaf Rake and Pole. And Motrin. This is a leaf rake:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I think I have one of those the previous owner left. I also have two teenage boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Leaf Rake and Pole. And Motrin. This is a leaf rake:

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd go for the manual removal rather using a leaf rake rather than any other way- those needles seem perfect to clog up vacuum lines or equipment, IMO.
    Otherwise- DANG but that was a heckofa storm, wasn't it?! My power was out for over two days. And days later its 80 degrees!! Gotta love Augusta winters.
    Had an 80 foot hardwood fall in my backyard and thankfully miss the pool entirely but did take out three sides of the yards fence line. The electric cover keeps most of the schmutz out but I'm sure there are pine needles that snuck under the one unsecured end because the entire pool deck is littered with pine and other tree branches. A wonderful group of volunteers from Samaritan's Purse came and cut and stacked the tree up for firewood. Our insurance company has agreed to pay for the fence and the pool furniture damaged.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like everyone has said what I would have said. But after hearing you've got 2 teenage boys, boys and leaf rake sounds like the way to go! Score! I'm getting ready to have twins. I'm going to have a beautiful yard and pool, in about 8 years. LOL
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

A Pentair rainbow leaf catcher works great with a standard vacuum head or inline with vacuum pool cleaners. It's got great capacity, keeps all the debris out of your pump basket and filter, and I have to say beats chasing down little bits on the bottom with a pool net, especially for a large pool.

R211086-2.jpg

Edit: Sorry I didn't read Rocco's earlier post that mentions the same canister.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just wanted to update everyone on my progress cleaning out the debris after the storm. We've been working hard with the leaf rake and have also started running the Polaris and cleaning it out very regularly. Here is a before and after shot.

Now that I finally have the debris out I want to try and get started with BBB. I don't have my test kit yet so I suppose getting that is my best first step. What quantity of bleach should I plan to have on hand for a 30,000 gal pool?

Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Now that I finally have the debris out I want to try and get started with BBB. I don't have my test kit yet so I suppose getting that is my best first step. What quantity of bleach should I plan to have on hand for a 30,000 gal pool?

Thanks

Wow, I envy you that diving board! I sure wish we'd known how much I'd miss diving when we picked out our pool.

Otherwise- yes! You need to get on to ordering a nice test kit (TF-100 is my choice, and the extra large option is nice especially as you learn the tests... you have reagents enough to mess a few up and still have plenty to spare. If you can swing it the little magnetic bean spinner is a really, REALLY nice gadget that makes it all VERY easy and quick)
    As to bleach, go pick up a big box of those 3-somes from Costco or SamsClub and that will get you started when you finally get the testing started. Remember you're probably going to need more at first as you get the pool cleaned up and in the groove with this new to you way. But it will get so much easier once mastered. Good luck!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes treat yourself from all the hard work on getting it cleaned up. Get the speed stirrer. You won't regret it. 😎

Nice job on getting it cleaned up. 👍
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.