First Ever Pool - Above ground bestway 4.2m slice of heaven

Hi pwrstrk, yes, I was looking at a variable speed pump.... Hayward makes some nice ones... I plan on spending a fair bit on a pump as I want it to last....

I've been looking at this one....http://www.hayward-pool.com.au/prd/...II-VS_12202_12051_64551_-1_40509_401400_C.htm

I have a nice oversized cartridge filter I'm looking at too.... Yes the 13mm polytube will be for the solar collectors... I plan on installing the solar pipe coming off the return pipe to push the water onto the roof, does that sound right?????

Hi pwrstrk,

Would this do...?? I'm looking to keep it all in one place as my space is limited and I thought this would be awesome......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/261421045896?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=94

And yes the polytube (13mm) will be for the solar collectors... :)

I have been looking for Hayward pumps but they are so expensive here, I may have to bite the bullet and see if I can get one shipped from the US.....
I have found a nicely oversized Hayward cartridge filters but again I'll have to go overseas for that too... :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, I shall google two speed ones now!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you pwrstrk, that's exactly what I am looking for.... :)

I've decided that I'm going to get the above pump and filter from ebay, and I'm going to run the spare filter that comes with the pool as a dedicated solar pump... It means I can run the solar without having to run the main filter all the time.... :) I like to run the main filter periodically through the day and night on a timer, for great water circulation. The bonus is, the pump for the solar is a filter itself so its a win win...lol....
The filter will be powerful enough to get the water up to my roof and its only 145watt motor so it won't cost me the earth to run it.. I will have to cut an extra intake into the liner, but I think I've learned enough about reinforcement and pressure to make it work....I will also add a ball valve as a safety.... :) So many ideas... Now just to get them happening....

I hate to hear about your strained back Lacy. I hope you feel better soon.
agree with pwrstrk on the 2 speed pump for sure.
I also think a circular saw would make an excellent birthday gift for you. Or for any woman for that matter.

Hey Divin Dave... :) Thank you for asking about my back... It should be better in a few days... Hubby should be home soon, and he's going to get started on the yard again.

I really need a circular saw, I've got privacy screens to build and I have a need to build stuff all of a sudden... So weird... :)

I've decided to go with the combination filter and pump from ebay, as I only run it for 2 hours on, 2 hours off on a cycle over a 24 hr period, and since the pool comes with a spare filter pump, I may as well make it dedicated to the solar system.... :) It just gives me more control.... And I'm only dealing with 4500 gallons of water... Tiny pool compared to most.... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really kicked in this morning... Even though my back is killing me..... :-( But I'm impressed with how far we've come today.... At least when the pool gets here tomorrow I can have a idea where the frame will go... :)

Much Happier by tiffnoy, on Flickr

Slowly but surely.... :)

Next job is to frame up the yard with treated pine and dowel.... Order the turf, get more bluemetal dust, level and lay it.... :)

OK, been doing some pool math today.... This will be handy for anyone interested in installing a home made solar system as the maths will work for any sized pool.... I plan to build 4 (now I've done the math I realise I need one more, I could possibly do 5) collectors Each with 250 metres of black poly tube, if I can get it cheap enough in bulk..... 1 metre of 13mm polypipe has a internal diameter of 11mm..... I do apologise my American cousins, for the metric system, but its all I know... :)

This only concerns the volume of water held in the tube, not the rate at which it flows, I wont know that till I build it, and then I can customise it, to make it work....

To cut to the chase 1 metre of 13mm poly pipe will hold nearly 100 mls of water, 10 metres will hold 1 litre....100 metres will hold 10 litres....... It makes it very easy to calculate how much water will be in the tubes at any one time.... Therefore 500 metres will hold 50 litres.... Therefore 1 kilometre will hold 100 litres of hot water...... If I can manage it, that's what I'm hoping to accomplish.... With a cycle timer which will turn it on and off every 5 minutes, over the course of a 6 hour period, my solar will have dumped nearly 3600 litres of hot water into my 17200 litre pool.... Not bad considering the hot water is free..... :)

Now to make this system more efficient, I plant to build everything in neat frames, painted matt black, then covered with a layer of clear plexi-glass plastic..... This will insulate the hoses.....

The pump I am using for the solar, can pump 5672 litres every hour, but its going to be working hard to move water through 1 kilometre of hose, I haven't even bothered to work out how long it takes for the water to make it through the hose and that will be important in determining how many time a day I wish to have it switch on and off and which is more effective in terms of time it takes for the water to heat.... Still heaps of math to do.... I have to add a pipe reducer onto the solar pump to get it down to 13mm from 32mm, that will create some pressure for sure..... :-/

The technical side can be fun... :)

Just a quick addendum to this post:- Here are the conversions..

13mm = 1/2 inch
1 Litre = 0.267 gallon
1 Metre = 3.25 feet
1 kilometre = 0.62 miles

OMG IT'S POOL PICK UP DAY :) .... Dave has been on the road since 4.30 am this morning, so he should be getting there about 9.30am... :) Our eldest son gets home from school camp today so its a big day here..... Since I've been putting so much time into the front yard, the house has been let slide, so I'm gonna do housework and get it organised before the pool gets here... :)

Happy pool pickup day !!

One option for the solar heater might be to hook up the collectors in parallel, so water would only have to travel 1/4 km to get back to the pool and (I believe) your pump wouldn't have to work as hard since you're only necking down from 32mm to 26mm (4 x 13mm in parallel).

AFAIK the water would move more slowly through each of the collectors so it wouldn't get back to the pool any faster other than as a result of the pump dealing with less resistance and maybe pumping a bit more volume as a result, but having the water move more slowly through the collectors seems like a Good Thing anyways.

EDIT -- if the 13mm poly pipe is 11mm ID then I guess you would be necking down to the equivalent of 22mm, but it's still a lot better than necking down to 11mm...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.