Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please review proposed skimmer/return layout

1. Back To Top    #1

Please review proposed skimmer/return layout

Would greatly appreciate if the plumbing experts here would take a minute to review my drawing of what makes sense to me at this point. Equipment pad will be south of the house (which is behind steps.)

Still learning about adding images and not quite there... Here's a link:

http://s482.photobucket.com/user/Wan...tml?sort=3&o=0

Big thank you for all comments!

Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Coming in Spring 2014: Semi DIY 18'x36' rectangular 2' radius ig steel wall vinyl; 3.5'-8'; NO main drain, 2 skimmers, dedicated cleaner line, 5 returns (2 surface, 1 low in deep end, 2 in steps,); 1hp Pentair Whisperflo 2-speed pump; Pentair Clean & Clear 420 cartridge filter; Intellichlor IC40 swg; Raypak Digital NG 399K Heater; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs, 2 wheel Poolvergvegen ; S.R. Smith Salt System diving board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please review proposed skimmer/return layout

I think you are better off having the returns either opposite the skimmers to push debris into the skimmers or the option, in the corners of the pool so that you can get a circulation pattern going that will take the debris across the skimmer. Since your skimmers are near the corners anyway, I would put a return opposite each skimmer and maybe put the step return on the other side of the steps so it faces the skimmer too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay.. Made a couple of changes to drawing. Now I'm down to 4 total returns. Is this enough, given we won't have main drains? It seems to me there's a consensus here that if you maximize circulation with skimmers and returns, you can get by without the mains. Is that correct?

http://s482.photobucket.com/user/Wan...out-1.jpg.html

Another question regarding skimmer placement... is there an advantage to moving them around the corner so they're on the short walls but still basically in the corner?
    Coming in Spring 2014: Semi DIY 18'x36' rectangular 2' radius ig steel wall vinyl; 3.5'-8'; NO main drain, 2 skimmers, dedicated cleaner line, 5 returns (2 surface, 1 low in deep end, 2 in steps,); 1hp Pentair Whisperflo 2-speed pump; Pentair Clean & Clear 420 cartridge filter; Intellichlor IC40 swg; Raypak Digital NG 399K Heater; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs, 2 wheel Poolvergvegen ; S.R. Smith Salt System diving board

4. Back To Top    #4

Oops... Also, how deep should deep return be and is this a good location for that??

thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

There might be a slight advantage to placing the skimmers & returns on the short wall so that might not be a bad idea.

4 returns should be more than enough and yes, I would agree that a main drain is unnecessary.

Deep return is fine. You really don't need much down low when you are only at 8'.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

The key is having a skimmer on the downwind side of the pool. At least with 2 there is more of a chance of that happening.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!