Leaking water from DE filter Outlet

Feb 16, 2014
Texas
With all of the cold weather, I have noticed a decrease in the water level in my 22k gallon Gunite pool. I went around to the filter and noticed water was leaking from the filter at the outlet pipe to the backwash valve. Also, not able to backwash, unable to pull valve up.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 26
I can't see the water leak. Can you mark the picture and reload it?

If it's coming from behind the white nut, it could be as simple as a split O-ring.

The backwash valve usually has to be twisted to unlock before you can raise it. Things could be warped inside as well. Be gentle with it, you don't want to break it and have to replace it.

Over time the orings inside of the backwash valve expand and makes the valve stick. If that is the issue it is better to replace it before it really gets stuck. You can find that valve online for around $80. Just unthread the screws and and replace the guts rather that cutting the pvc and putting a whole new one it. For the leak use channel locks to unthread the unions and look at the orings; there may be debris on them or they can be flat/cracked. When you put it back together don't over tighten the unions this will also make them leak. They just need to feel snug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.