Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking water from DE filter Outlet

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking water from DE filter Outlet

With all of the cold weather, I have noticed a decrease in the water level in my 22k gallon Gunite pool. I went around to the filter and noticed water was leaking from the filter at the outlet pipe to the backwash valve. Also, not able to backwash, unable to pull valve up.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Leaking water from DE filter Outlet

I can't see the water leak. Can you mark the picture and reload it?

If it's coming from behind the white nut, it could be as simple as a split O-ring.

The backwash valve usually has to be twisted to unlock before you can raise it. Things could be warped inside as well. Be gentle with it, you don't want to break it and have to replace it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Sacramento, CA

Re: Leaking water from DE filter Outlet

Over time the orings inside of the backwash valve expand and makes the valve stick. If that is the issue it is better to replace it before it really gets stuck. You can find that valve online for around $80. Just unthread the screws and and replace the guts rather that cutting the pvc and putting a whole new one it. For the leak use channel locks to unthread the unions and look at the orings; there may be debris on them or they can be flat/cracked. When you put it back together don't over tighten the unions this will also make them leak. They just need to feel snug.